Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My Story

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bens_mummy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: My Story   Tue 30 Sep 2008, 7:19 pm

Hi everyone,

My husband and I found out in July 06 that I was expecting. We were so excited. All was going well, pretty much a text book pregnancy up until I was 27 weeks. A few days after christmas I woke up one morning and my hands, ankles and face were really swollen, I didn't think too much of it as I knew it was common to get swelling during pregnancy and it seemed to go down later on in the day. This swelling kept on happening and my mum told me to get to the doctors just to get checked out as she said the swelling was getting worse. (personally I didn't notice). I called the doctors who told me to come down asap just to check my urine and BP. When I got there, the nurse checked my urine and blood pressure. I could tell by the look on her face something was the matter. I had +4 protein and my BP was 150/90 (booking in BP was 100/60)

The nurse rang the hospital and told me to come straight in. When I got there I was seen by the day assesment unit. The midwife there did the same checks and said my urine was clear! No protein at all. They monitored my BP which was still high - but she came to the conclusion that there was nothing the matter with me and that my BP was only high as I got nervous when the midwife spoke to me!! So, she sent me off home and told me to come back in 2 days for another check. I have never felt so stupid in my all my life. I also knew that my BP was not going up because of the nurse talking to me. That night I went home and looked up PE on the internet, from then on I knew deep down thatI had this horrible disease.

So, 2 days later I went back to the day assesment unit and was told I had +3 protein and my BP was very high and got told I had PE. They admitted me to the ward. At 31+6 weeks I was induced as my BP was unstable and the BP medication wasnt really helping anymore. The consultant said I was kicking out 19g protein each day and the best thing would be to deliver my baby, even though he was still growing nicely and not showing any signs of distress. It was just me who was getting really ill. I felt like I was letting my baby down. I didn't want to be induced, but my husband and consultant talked me round, which now I am thankful for as neither of us might not have been here today.

The next day at 6pm, Benjamin was born by a natural delivery at 32 weeks. He was grunting when he first came out and was whisked away to the Neonatal Unit. The doctors told me to prepared to see him on a ventilator as it was likely he'd need help with his breathing. 2 hours after I gave birth I was able to see him. He wasn't ventilated but was on CPAP, so we were relieved and knew from then on we had a little fighter on our hands.

That night I had to be transfered to the high dependency unit as my BP was sky high and wouldn't come down. I was put on a drip, cathiterised and had my BP taken every 5 minutes. A nurse sat with me all night. I was in the high dependency unit for 24 hours. I was heart broken that I wasn't able to be with Ben.

I was discharged from hospital after 7 days. It broke my heart that I had to leave my baby behind. Benjamin was growing from strength to strength and after 4 weeks he was allowed home weighing exactly 4lbs. He is now a very healthy and lively 20 month old. We thank God every day that we have him with us, we were one of the lucky ones.

We are now planning on having our 2nd baby. We are very nervous and just hope and pray this vile condition doesn't strike again.

Thanks for reading

Love, Gemma x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laurie
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Story   Wed 01 Oct 2008, 1:42 pm

Hi Gemma
Thanks for putting your story on here - it can take a lot of courage to write it all down! But I think it can be a really useful part of the process if you are thinking about having another baby - putting "this" (what happened to you) up against "that" (what you were expecting) helps you get perspective about how far from "normal" the experience of pregnancy and childbirth can be.

it's lovely that you are so positive, but I'd hazard a guess that it hasn't always been like that. If there are downs as well as ups as you think about trying again, know that we are here to support you.

x
Laurie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ingrid
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My Story   Wed 01 Oct 2008, 5:11 pm

Hi Gemma

Thank you for posting your story here so similar to so many others but pleased that your little boy king is now doing realy well.

Hope you get all the info you need before trying again and you get all the care and I wish you well.
I hope through reading other mums experiences and happy outcomes it will give you some encouragement that it can go all PE free and to term

take care
Ingrid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Story   Wed 01 Oct 2008, 6:04 pm

Hi Gemma,

Thank you for having the courage to post your story, I do hope you will find the support & information here that you want.
And! Many congratulations on the birth of your son!

It might be worth you asking for an expert referral before TTC, to see if there were any underlying reasons why the PE occured, and how any future pregnancy should be managed.
The PRECOG pages are a useful guise in terms of what you should get as a minimum 'best practice' benchmark. I can send you a list of experts in your area if that would help?

You can PM me if there are things you would like to ask but dont want to ask openly.

Warm wishes
Liz

mouse
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My Story   Wed 01 Oct 2008, 8:16 pm

Hi Gemma,
Congratulations on the birth of your son, so sorry to hear what a tough time you had though.
Glad to hear you're feeling positive about going for no. 2.
I always wish I'd read through my notes before going for no.2 - may be useful for you? Hope you get to meet with a consultant to get a plan to help you feel even more confident soon.
We will all be here to support you every step of the way.
Keep us posted!
Lots of love
xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bens_mummy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My Story   Sat 10 Jan 2009, 1:26 pm

Hi Ladies,

Just thought i'd give you a quick update. I'm currently 10 weeks pregnant and everything seems to be going well so far. Hardly any sickness (I suffered really bad sickness with Ben) I had my first appointment with my midwife on wednesday, my booking in BP was 100/60 so nice and low, lets hope it stays that way Smile I'm now just waiting for a date for my 12 weeks scan & to see the consultant.
I'm trying to stay as positive as possible but I'm finding it hard to get excited about this pregnancy, did anyone else feel llike this second time round? I feel bad as I remember how excited I was when we found out we were having Ben.

Thank you for your continued support.

Love, Gemma x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ingrid
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My Story   Sat 10 Jan 2009, 7:30 pm

Hi Gemma

Huge congratulations on your pregnancy cheers

Samantha was nervous all the way through her pregnancy but was taking steps to certain levels like getting to 12 weeks then 20 then getting past the 26 weeks ( when she lost Briannah) then getting to 30 weeks ect I dont think any of us relaxed until dylan was born.

I am sure you will be looked after this time round and I wish you well and hope it all goes to term PE free.

Take care

Ingrid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Story   Tue 27 Jan 2009, 1:51 pm

Hi Gemma,

Im really sorry, I must have missed this post announcing your happy news.

Many Many Congratulations. Heres wishing you a long and uneventful pregnancy.

Warm wishes
Liz

mouse
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My Story   Tue 27 Jan 2009, 2:23 pm

Congratulations Gemma!
Hope the 12 week scan goes OK for you & that this pregnancy goes smoothly.
Lots of love
xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bens_mummy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My Story   Mon 02 Feb 2009, 9:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

I had my scan today, i'm 13 weeks. All went fine and baby is growing nicely and bouncing around Very Happy I saw the consultant who didn't seem to think there would be a risk of me getting PE again? She said due to the fact that my BP went back to normal a week after i gave birth and that my son was a good birth weight she doesn't need to see me again unless my midwife thinks there is a problem. I asked if i'd get any extra scans and she also said there was no need unless I was measuring small. She said i'll just be under the care of my midwife from now on. I came away from my appointment a little confused & felt like I was being fobbed off. Is this me just over reacting? Maybe it's just the hormones making me feel this way? The nearer i get to 20 weeks, the more I start to stress about it all.

Sorry for the rant...

Gemma x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Story   Tue 03 Feb 2009, 9:45 am

Hi Gemma,

Im glad the scan went well & baby is happily bouncing around!
You are right to be concerned. The PRECOG guidelines clearly state your care package should be consultant lead and that increased monitoring is recommended.

I would suggest talking this through with your MW or GP - take a copy of the guidelines if you need to. You could tell your GP what care package you want and ask him to help you to get it.

It is hopeful that as Ben was born at 32 weeks & your BP returned to normal fairly quickly that PE will not be as severe if it reoccurs in this pregnancy.
The scans are there to ensure baby is not measuring small - how can a clinical judgement be made if the testing is inconsistent (perhaps because you might not see the same MW every time) & so subjective?

Will also PM you...but I hope this helps.

Best Wishes
Liz

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Story   

Back to top Go down

My Story
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1