Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Prem babies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bens_mummy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Prem babies   Fri 19 Sep 2008, 9:11 am

Hi all,

My son Ben was 8 weeks prem, he's 20 months old in a few days and only started walking last week. I'm not sure if this is just down to him being so laid back and not wanting to walk, or if it's because he was prem? When he was born the doc at the hospital told me that it can take prem babies up until the age of 5 to catch up with everything, i'm just interested to know if this is the case with most prem babies? Has anyone else found that their prem baby is slightly behind in their development?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prem babies   Fri 19 Sep 2008, 9:37 am

Hi Bens Mummy,

This is a topic very close to my heart so Thank you for raising this, in what I am sure will become a 'hot topic'!

I too was told that my daughter would be about 5 before she 'caught up'. The truth is it depends on all manner of things, like gestational age & struggles through the neonatal period as well as the childs own 'make up'.

My daughter did reach her early years milestones - eventually and in her own sweet style! She crawled after she could walk! As she was attached to an oxygen cylinder till she was 2 1/2 she just rolled on the floor for ages then when she found her mobility (up the stairs usually!) she was off! This was about 3 years old.
Now at 11 years old, I cant keep her still - not because of ADHD or anything like that but because she wants to know about everything! She still has hurdles she has to overcome but essentially she is happy being her!
Academic stuff and other 'milestones' are something I have learned to not try and benchmark her against. She has her own benchmark because of the tricky start she had in life.
Thats me as a mum!

Me as a teacher of kids with special needs says, show me an 'average' child - there is no such thing! Kids will develop to their potential when all the love & support is behind them to encourage them to be who they are and not what a text book says they should be!

If Ben is showing interest in the world around him and making an effort to interact with it then assuming nothing is physically wrong (which your HV should be monitoring too) the he will get where he wants to be - how he wants to get there in his own sweet style too!
If your instinct feels there is something wrong though - trust it & get it checked.

Best Wishes
Liz

Last edited by Liz Pidgley on Fri 19 Sep 2008, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
Lesley
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Prem babies   Fri 19 Sep 2008, 10:05 am

Prems vary so much, just like term babies, that its hard to say what is prem related and what is just pure laziness lol! Isaac was born at 27 weeks but was advanced physically and walked at 15 months actual but his term cousin didn't walk til he was 21 months.

Isaac has always taken his time to do things but when he does them he gets there very quickly. He had no proper speach until he was 2 but 5 months later he is speaking sentances and his speach therapist is very impressed with his vocab. He does, however, still really struggle with co-ordination so things like feeding himself are slow to develope which they have put down to his extreme prematurity. Isaac is also still very small for his age (82cm at 2yrs 5months) which we were warned could take til school age to catch up if he does.

You just have to learn to relax and go with your instincts. Don't compare (I know its hard sometimes) and take any help offered, if he doesn't need it it won't hurt and if he does then the sooner the better. I'm here if you want to chat more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MrsCav
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Prem babies   Sat 04 Oct 2008, 12:15 pm

Hi bens mummy,

My daughter was born 10 weeks prem and the hospital said her development would be delayed but was never given a specfic time frame, i was told by a health visitor that it takes about 2 1/2 years to catch up but i think she will do it in her own time. She crawled at 11 months and she walked at 16 months but she is a very active child. However at nearly 25 months can only say a few not very recognisable words (about what an 18 month old can do) However i don't mind and we try to teach her words that she will try but is not very good i don't for one minute think that she will get to school age and not talk!! so she will do it in her own time.

Who cares about meetine the milestones at the right age as long as you precious baby is healthy and happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prem babies   

Back to top Go down

Prem babies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1