Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Factor V Leiden

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bell
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Factor V Leiden   Tue 02 Sep 2008, 2:54 pm

Was wondering if anyone else who has suffered pre eclampsia has been told they have factor V Leiden? It is a gene mutation that makes the blood clot to much. There has been lots of discussion that there is a link between factor V leiden and pre eclampsia and still birth.

I am attending a haematologist regarding this and she has been involved in the research but said there is no concrete evidence at the moment as it is hard to find woman to take part in their studies. The woman that do take part have suffered pre eclampsia in a 1st pregnancy and they either put them on Clexane ( to thin blood) or a placebo in the 2nd pregnancy. Understandably woman don't want to risk their babies life or their own by taking a placebo. I know I wouldn't take part.

If anyone does have factor V leiden, did you have a still born baby too? The pathology on my placenta showed that it had multi infarcts ( damaged areas) which were restricting the blood flow to the baby, therefore restricting the oxygen and nutrients to the baby and this caused him to pass away. The infarcts where probably caused by blood clots.

So if I ever get pregnant again the haematologist suggests I have clexane 40mg injections everyday, right up until 36 weeks.

If this has happened to you, what treatment have you been prescribed and do you feel it has made for a better outcome in pregnancy?

Bell.x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mouse
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Factor V Leiden   Tue 02 Sep 2008, 4:43 pm

Hi Bell.
Sorry to hear about the Factor V Leiden.
I don't have the condition but did use clexane in my 1st pregnancy (for fertility issues) until 28 weeks. I had a growth scan about 32 weeks which showed IUGR (same time that I stopped the aspirin) & I developed PET at 34 weeks.
I am taking aspirin only this time & everything seems to be going OK so far, but as I said I haven't been diagnosed with any blood clotting disorders. I think I would have felt happier to be on the clexane too.
I'm sure it was stopping the clexane +/- the aspirin last time that caused the PET (or it stopped me from developing it much earlier).
It definitely feels good to 'do something' when you're pregnant second time round - be it aspirin or clexane or just increased monitoring - certainly makes me feel safer & that even if something does happen it'll be caught early & we'll be prepared for it.
Lots of love
xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Factor V Leiden

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pre Eclampsia support ::  ::  :: -