Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Question Re Asprin

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lisa32
New User

PostSubject: Question Re Asprin   Fri 22 Aug 2008, 10:29 am

Hi Everyone,

I've just been re-directed to this site from the really un-helpful APEC forum from Lacey and Hayley (thanks girls).

Anyway, I just wanted to ask you all, at what week did you start taking asprin in pregnancy?

I'll just give you a little history about myself: I have just found out that I am pregnant again, this is my fourth pregnancy, the first resulted in the death of my daughter at 26 wks due to severe PE, the second was a missed miscarriage and the third resulted in my gorgeous now 17 month old son.

After losing my daughter the consultants at our local hospital advised me to take 75mg asprin from the moment that I find myself pregnant again. I done this with my son and luckily I had no reoccurance of the dreaded PE at gave birth to him at 38wks.

I have spoken to my GP regarding this pregnancy (i'm currently 5 weeks) and he said to definitely not take asprin even after I explained my history and said it could cause a miscarriage, he then said he would call the hospital and phoned me back to say I should start taking it at 12 weeks. I found this a bit strange so I then called the midwife who said to start taking it immediately!

So really i'm a little confused and don't know what to do, I wondered if the guidelines to asprin use have changed or is my doctor just talking rubbish?

Any help/advice appreciated, thanks, Lisa xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nicki D
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Question Re Asprin   Fri 22 Aug 2008, 11:36 am

Hi Lisa,

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses, but very happy to hear of your good news!

Liz is on holiday, but I know she's been 'popping in', but in case she doesn't in the next few days...

I'm no expert, but when I saw a consultant after I had HELLP at 33 weeks, she told me I could start taking aspirin at any time, as long as it was before 12 weeks, as this is the time that the placenta is fully formed. I think different consultants have different views on exactly when to start, but they all agree it's 12 weeks at the latest.

General advice for women who have never had PE/HELLP is NOT to take aspirin during pregnancy, but the doses prescribed for women who have had PE/HELLP are much lower than the standard pain-killing dosage and the benefits FAR outweigh any risks.

I wish you well for a very long and uneventful pregnancy!

Take care

Nicki
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caroline
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Question Re Asprin   Fri 22 Aug 2008, 12:26 pm

Hi Lisa,

Congratulations on your new pregnancy. I was prescribed low dose aspirin in my second pregnancy from 7 weeks once the heartbeat had been seen on an early scan. I stopped taking it at 36 weeks and only then started to show very mild signs of PE again.

Caroline xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Woody
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Question Re Asprin   Fri 22 Aug 2008, 6:55 pm

Hi Lisa

I'm sorry to hear about your losses and congratualtions on your son and your new pregnancy.

I've had a couple of miscarriages so when I saw my consultant for a pre-pregnancy appointment (not that we're actually trying for another baby for a while yet!) after Hannah he said I could start taking the asprin when we started trying! So it sounds like the advice differs depending upon who you see!!!

Don't know if that helps or not!!

Take care

Linda
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bell
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Question Re Asprin   Sat 23 Aug 2008, 9:15 pm

When I went to my pre pregnancy appointment I was told when I get pregnant to start taking aspirin from 6 weeks.

Bell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ingrid
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Question Re Asprin   Sun 24 Aug 2008, 10:16 am

Hi

Congratulations on your pregnancy Very Happy my daughter was told to take aspirin as soon as she found out she was pregnant and took it right up to when she gave birth at 39 weeks, I must admit never heard that it can cause a miscarriage? as others have said there is coflicting times you are told to take aspirin I suppose it does depend on the consultant. Good luck with your new pregnancy and hope it all goes completely PE free

Ingrid x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lisa32
New User

PostSubject: Re: Question Re Asprin   Tue 26 Aug 2008, 11:37 am

Hello,
Thanks to everyone for your responses.
I decided to start taking asprin again a couple of days ago, i'm sure it can't do any harm and it really helped with my DS so fingers crossed and touch wood and hopefully everything will be ok this time round.
I suppose I just can't help panicing a bit really and questioning everything I do. I'm sure many people who have been in my situation have done the same everytime they've found out they are pregnant again.
Anyway, thanks again everyone.
Lisa xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mouse
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Question Re Asprin   Tue 26 Aug 2008, 2:13 pm

Hi Lisa.
Sorry didn't see your original post. Congratulations on your news! Hope you're feeling OK.
I took aspirin during my last pregnancy (advised by my fertility clinic) from before I had the embryos transferred to 32 weeks (I developed PET at 34 weeks). This time I was told to start taking it as soon as I found out I was pregnant & everything is going OK so far (am 30+ weeks now).
Wishing you all the best for a healthy & uneventful pregnancy
xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ingrid
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Question Re Asprin   Tue 26 Aug 2008, 4:45 pm

Hi mouse

Goodness me 30 weeks already it has flown glad all is well with you and you get to term all PE free well done you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mouse
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Question Re Asprin   Tue 26 Aug 2008, 8:59 pm

Thanks Ingrid. It's certainly flying now!
Hope you're enjoying Dylan, what's he up to now? Hope Samantha is doing OK.
Lots of love
xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HayleyP80
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Question Re Asprin   Wed 27 Aug 2008, 7:53 pm

Hi Lisa,

Great to see you over here Very Happy

Think I already posted on the other site but just incase (my memory tends to trick me!) with both my pregnancy with Oliver and also my current pregnancy (25wks tomorrow) I began taking aspirin as soon as we started trying to conceive. All was well with Oliver and (touch wood) all seems to be going well this time around too.

Would it be worth double checking with your consultant?

All the best and congrats!

Love
Hayley xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ingrid
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Question Re Asprin   Thu 28 Aug 2008, 7:34 pm

Hi Hayley

So glad all is going well with your pregnancy cheers and I hope it carries on all PE free its lovely to hear that you, Mouse and others are all doing so well.
Samantha is talking of trying again after next years wedding and she will be taking what she calls her miracle pill aspirin. Dylan is now 9 weeks and is such a happy little boy sunny he is always smiling he had a virul infection and had terrible diarriah but come through it and is now thriving, we see him every day as they only live a few doors away but are now in the process of moving to a house on the other side of the estate still in walking distance so not to far away.

Take care everyone

Ingrid xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HayleyP80
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Question Re Asprin   Fri 29 Aug 2008, 1:52 pm

Hi Ingrid,

Thanks Very Happy
I have to admit to feeling more positive this time about the whole PE thing. I hope I haven't gone and jinxed myself now!

I shall be rooting for Samantha when the time comes!

I'm sorry to hear that Dylan has been poorly but glad he's through it now. Oliver has had a cold these past few days and I have been in a tizzy! Plus he banged his mouth last night, blood everywhere and a swollen lip this morning, I feel terrible! It's so awful when they are ill and there is very little you can do for them.

It's wonderful that you see Dylan (and Samantha!) every day. My mum lives 4 hours away so we don't see all that much of them Neutral

Anyway, check me out, rambling on!

Glad to hear you are well
Love
Hayley xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MrsCav
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Question Re Asprin   Mon 08 Sep 2008, 5:02 pm

Hi Lisa,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss but congratulations on the pregnancy.
I waited for an appoitnment then finally got one at 10 weeks then they put me on asprin, even though they class me as high risk they were ok with me not starting any earlier. It sounds like they are stuck between a rock and a hard place with the possible risk of miscarrage and the PE.

Hope all goes well keep us informed.

Take Care
Paula
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question Re Asprin   Mon 08 Sep 2008, 9:21 pm

Hi ladies,

Im sorry that my reply is so late to this thread Ive only just found it - no idea why I missed it.
Lisa, I am so sorry to hear of your losses but happy to hear your news. The ladies have all gven good advice & IM glad to hear you did start on the aspirin.
It does depend on Consultant preference as to when to start but evidence shows that as long as its commenced before 12 weeks then thast is the ideal as this is when the placenta is forming. It is also usual to stop taking it at 36 weeks as your blood needs to return to normal in time for any delivery. Should you need to deliver early then other drugs can be given to reverse the effects of the aspirin but obviously if this can be avoided so much the better!

As you had had PE & HELLP, then a miscarriage I would suspect thet you also have 'sticky blood' and therefore the aspirin would be indicated.
You are also entitled to increased monitoring throughout this pregnancy and would suggest you ask your MW or GP to arrange an urgent Consultant level appointment prior to 12 weeks if this hasnt already been arranged.

It might be worth a look at the secion on PRECOG on this site as these are the guidelines of care that is recognised as best practice & what all health care providers should be working within.
Let me know if you want to chat something over.

Meantime, Many congratulations on your pregnancy. May it be long and uneventful!
Warm Wishes
Liz

PS Mouse - 30 weeks, Im so pleased for you!!!!
Hope all continues to go well.
Liz

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question Re Asprin   

Back to top Go down

Question Re Asprin
Page 1 of 1