Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Pre-eclampsia (Etiology and Clinical Practice)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carrie06
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Pre-eclampsia (Etiology and Clinical Practice)   Sat 09 Aug 2008, 7:27 pm

This is not really a question but more of a comment about a book I've recently seen re. PE. It's called Pre-eclampsia (Etiology and Clinical Practice). It's on Amazon but it has a fairly steep price of 85 so was a bit hesitant about buying it. It's a medical textbook rather than a guide for patients.

So I decided to head off to the British Library on Thursday (it's a really interesting place if anyone is curious to visit it). I knew they had it in stock so was great being able to read it or at least have a glance through. They are fairly strict on photocopying due to copyright so wasn't able to do that. But if anyone's interested in it, you can read sections of it on Google books, although they do cut out a lot of the pages. There were a few interesting sections on genetics, managing mild and severe PE, PE and high altitude, genetics and one on the legal aspects. It's a mixture of basic science and clinical aspects and was published in 2007 so not too out of date. The authors are from the US and UK and recognised a few of the names such as Andrew Shennan, Chris Redman and Catherine Nelson-Piercy.

So, was wondering if anyone has read it and if so, what did they think? I was only able to have a quick glance as it was very warm and the nausea seems to have kicked in and there was nowhere to sit!!!! Probably one of the most interesting sections I read was about how they now use "expectant management" when someone presents with PE rather than delivering them immediately as they used to do - obviously that depends on the severity of their condition. Anyway, it's worth a look at if you're a bit like me and are intent on driving yourself crazy to know more about PE.
Cxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pre-eclampsia (Etiology and Clinical Practice)   Sun 10 Aug 2008, 1:28 pm

Hi Carrie,

Thanks for the mention of this book. I havent actually read the book but as I know all 3 of the doctors you mentioned, have discussed PE with them in detail on more than one occasion!

I also agree, the British Library is the most amazing place!

Best Wishes
Liz

mouse
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Pre-eclampsia (Etiology and Clinical Practice)   Sun 10 Aug 2008, 9:01 pm

Thanks Carrie - sounds really interesting. Doubt I will make it to the British Library but will definitely have a go at looking it up online.
xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pre-eclampsia (Etiology and Clinical Practice)   

Back to top Go down

Pre-eclampsia (Etiology and Clinical Practice)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1