Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The contraceptive pill

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HelenA
Forum Friend

PostSubject: The contraceptive pill   Fri 18 Jul 2008, 2:33 pm

Hi Liz,
This is something that I have wondered and not followed up but I have just read Ingrid's post mentioning Sam being on the pill when she concieved Briana and I thought I'd ask if you knew of any conection. I was on the mini pill-(microgynon I think-its four years ago!)and I concieved Grace less than a week after stopping it mid cycle. I had no bleed,which I had been expecting,but felt ovulation and concieved her that evening. I have wondered if this may have contributed to the failure of my placenta, or to it not forming properly in the first place.
Please don't think that I am blaming myself-I'm not, I just find it interesting and wondered if you knew anything or if anyone else had had a similar experience?
Thankyou.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ingrid
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Sat 19 Jul 2008, 12:39 pm

Hi Helen

Thats the same one Samantha was on makes you wonder doesnt it ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HayleyP80
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Sat 19 Jul 2008, 6:24 pm

Very Interesting Ladies,

I too was on that same brand. My consultant has since advised that I do not go back onto the combined pill due to my previous BP problems.
I was on the mini pill but can no longer take this either (due to ectopic).

It certainly does make you wonder!

Hayley xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lacey
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Sat 19 Jul 2008, 8:13 pm

I was on it too! 6 weeks before I conceived Orla I came off it to try and get pregnant, expecting it to take me 6 months or so. I had one period and got pregnant when I next ovulated!

I can't have the combined pill due to dreadful migraines and I'd been very happy on that pill for several years.

After I had Orla I went back on Microgynon and was fine for a year but then I started to get dreadfully sore boobs every month when I should've/would've been ovulating so I had to change to another mini-pill which sorted all my problems out except it zapped my sex drive and left me so dry down below (sorry!) sex wasn't an option!!!!

I stopped taking that pill 10 days ago and all systems are working normally again - Thank god! We're now TCC and making up for lost time too!

It's very interesting that other people on that pill fell so quick or while taking it and does make you wonder!

Lacey x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Penny
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Sun 20 Jul 2008, 9:01 am

For me it was different as i hadnt taken any pills for 2 yrs prior to conceiving Maddie BUT I was on it after having her, they prescibed it as felt it would have been safer than the combined pill due to my bp!
and it was on it that i fell pregnant with the ectopic.

Hayley , i had a bit of a dilemma after having Mack as couldnt take either pill so had to convince the cons ( gp refused) to put in a mirena coil. I know its something you are not thinking about at the moment but after new baby arrives it does become a dilemma if you cant take any pills. I felt i had minimal options. xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laurie
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Sun 20 Jul 2008, 4:22 pm

Bizarre - I was on Microgynon, too, before having Joe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
purplestunner
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Sun 20 Jul 2008, 9:08 pm

Wow - coinceidence??

I was on the pill when i fell pregant with Tam but it wasn't that one, it began with a D (got mumnesia!!)

xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Sun 20 Jul 2008, 9:14 pm

Hi ladies,

I have been doing some research on this as I too was taking this pill. However, I could find no direct link with this pill in isolation, however there was an interesting article that may actually be more likely.
The article said that the pill either progesterone only or combined can exacerbate blood chemistry. We know that women who suffer from PE are more likely to have 'stickier' blood than those who dont get it and the pill is known to exacerbate this condition.

Below is the exerpt....

Thrombotic disorders associated with pregnancy and the pill. Tooke JE, McNicol GP.

A wide range of procoagulant changes has been observed with oral contraceptive (OC) therapy during pregnancy. The thrombotic disorders which are clinically important during pregnancy and the puerperium are venous thromboembolism, thrombosis as a component of preeclamptic toxemia, myocardial infarction, and cerebral infarction and thrombosis. Changes observed in blood coagulability/rheology/flow, platelet function, glucose/lipid metabolism, and blood pressure partially explain the relative tendency towards arterial events. On the other hand, cyclical changes in hemorrheological/hemodynamic factors observed in nonpill users prevent in some way the development of arterial diseases; however, it is possible that cessation of these cyclical changes over a long period may remove the protection from arterial events normally enjoyed by women. The 1977 Royal College of General Practitioner study found that duration of pill use affected risk of circulatory disease: women who had been on the pill continuously for more than 5 years had twice the age-adjusted death rate from circulatory diseases than women who had taken it for a shorter period. Although epidemiological evidence supports the association between pregnancy, OC, and thrombotic disorders, and many procoagulant changes have been demonstrated in both pregnancy and combined pill use, many questions need to be resolved regarding pathogenesis, such as the protective mechanism of menstrual cycle against vascular thrombotic disease and the importance of cyclical variation in hormonal concentration. Because retrospective prevalence studies can not distinguish cause and consequence and cannot provide data on sudden death (perhaps the 1st manifestation of a thrombotic disorder), further prospective studies on OCs with varying chemical formulations should be done.

PMID: 7032788 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Hope this helps.
Liz

HelenA
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Mon 21 Jul 2008, 6:11 am

Thankyou for all your replies. I am pleased that I have not been on the pill now for over 2 years so hope that any anticoagulant properties it may have contributed to are now out of my system. I think I would have to think very seriously about using this method of cotraception again. I had my 5th attempt at DIY artificial insemination yesterday and am hopeful that eventually-hopefully before I get much older!, it will work.
Best wishes to you all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Mon 21 Jul 2008, 12:50 pm

Good luck Helen,

I hope you are successful.
Best Wishes
Liz

ingrid
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Mon 21 Jul 2008, 2:11 pm

Good Luck Helen fingers crossed its succesful

Ingrid xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HelenA
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Mon 21 Jul 2008, 5:51 pm

Thankyou both. Ingrid, so sorry I spelt Briannah wrong in my origional post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Charlie24
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Mon 21 Jul 2008, 10:05 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first message on here, i was building up to posting my story again from 'other' site! Just to add that i too had previously been on the microgynon before getting pregnant with Emily. I had a severe reaction to it (hemiplegic migraines that affecting my speech and more) They then took me off that and my doctor intended to put me on a different pill but prescribed the wrong one and again i had a very bad reaction. When i went to the GP after the reaction she apologised and said she had given me the wrong one and sent me straight to A&E for stroke symptoms and to have an mri. 6 months later i was pregnant with emily. Even tho there was a 6 month gap i know it takes a while to get out of your system.

My point really is that in my first pregnancy with Joshua (born in 04)i hadnt been on the pill and i went full term (41+ weeks!) with no PE symptoms at all. it wasnt until my daughter that i had PE (in 2006). I cant help but wonder if there is an awful connection here.

Good luck Helen, hope to here good news soon!

Love Charlie x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lacey
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Mon 21 Jul 2008, 11:34 pm

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for this post! Any thing I can grasp onto at the moment helps with my panicky moments!

It's lovely to know that other people think and worry about the same things I do. Such as taking the pill and what it could or could not have contributed too, the dilema of having another child, and the guilt emotions that we have all experienced.

I have over the past couple of years taken great comfort from all you brave ladies who have posted your past and present experiences of PE pregnancies and post PE pregnancies on this and the other forum. You have all helped me reach the decision to try again for another baby, be it a PE free pregnancy or a very complicated pregnancy.

Where many of my 'mummy mates' (nursery and school mums) don't understand the nagging, silent questions of why, what and when following a PE pregnancy, you ladies do! You understand how frightening the next pregnancy can be or have thought of all those questions that only you can voice in the middle of the night when no-one else can hear them or know how scary those answers may be.

From this forum and the Bliss forum I have seen and experienced that whatever life throws at us amazing parents we will cope, however hard it may be. That we will always be there for our children because that is what being a parent is all about. However long our children are in hospital, however tough their struggle for life may be, we all experience the same emotions whether it is for 1 hour or 100 days.

You have all given me so much strength and for that I'm extremely thankful.

I want to congratulate Ingrid, Samantha and Lee for the safe arrival of Dylan Lee, Caroline for the safe arrival of Tilly Hope and Emma for the safe arrival of Kira Rose.

I have wanted to say congratulations for ages but I have only had the chance to read and run recently as life has been very busy. I took on the treasurer's position on Orla's nursery committee in October last year and I've been totally engrossed it that ever since. I've been so busy organising fundraising and charity stuff and sorting out one very popular little 4 year olds social life, that this year has whizzed by. Now that the summer holidays are here I have more time for social and less time for nursery work and I want to keep you all informed of every step of our journey towards us being a family of 4.

It's been a struggle for answers as some of you may know. I've had my blood results over the phone (but not in writing as yet some 3 weeks later) that there is no pre-disposing factor to me having PE again. Knowing what I have learned from all of your experiences and Liz's invaluable input, I know that only me getting pregnant again will prompt the checks and appointments being planned down. For me and my NHS Trust the only way to have trust is to take the giant leap of faith that my care-givers will be there every step of the way for me and if they're not I know to SHOUT VERY LOUDLY about Pre-Cog and the NICE Guidelines.

I'm now mid-cycle and desperately hoping our wait for miracle number 2 is not long.

I guess I can use hormones as an excuse for a waffling post but I hope that you will understand some of what has been running through my mind for the past few months.

For all those who are in the same situation as me, or those who may be thinking of trying and anyone who may be able to, I hope that you will hold my hand along the way. I can't promise that I will be able to reply very often but I'm already scaling back on the work I do around the house, for the nursery and in my couple of private cleaning jobs so hope to have more time soon especially as Orla starts school full time in September.

Luck and best wishes to everyone!

Lacey x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Tue 22 Jul 2008, 10:59 am

Hi Lacey,

Good luck with TTC, I hope you dont have to wait too long.
And of course we will be here to 'hold your hand' whenever you wobble.

Warm Wishes
Liz

Annika
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Tue 22 Jul 2008, 2:11 pm

Hello ladies,

I too was on microgynon just before becoming pregnant with both Sam & Mairi- with Sam we tried staright away, thinking (for various reasons) it could take us ages to conceive- but fell pregnant the month after! With Mairi we decided to have 2 months pill-free prior to TTCing so as to let my body adjust...but again as soon as we did start trying I fell pregnant straight away. I'd only been on microgynon 4 months or so before TTCing Mairi, whereas before Sam I'd been on it for years with only brief breaks.... One of these breaks was in fact due to my BP being up a bit at a routine pill-related check-up which was followed by various investigations, inc. 24hr BP monitoring, which showed it was normal....and so was allowed back onto the pill (which I now find strange...but since then BP has behaved except when pregnant !!)

I literally went to the GPs this morning as my body's not agreeing with the minipill I'm on at the mo and as I've stopped BFing Mairi a couple of weeks ago he said I should go back onto microgynon- it's always agreed with me, no bad reactions, but now I'm wondering whether I should as we hope to start TTCing in October (yes, must be crazy, #3, and it will be v complicated...)

Think maybe this once I'll just leave off the hormones, just in case... But hubby hates using "other" methods IYKWIM Rolling Eyes

Lacey- I am thinking of you so much while you TTC, it's so hard deciding to try again, and in a way knowing that you don't have any predisposing factors for PE makes it more frustrating as you know they can't explain it so how will they know what'll help next time.... I'm in the same boat but since having had PE twice I know I wasn't just "unlucky" first time, for me pregnancy obviously triggers some strange reaction.... But I am still hopeful about next time, my obstetrician really believes in the power of aspirin and wants me to start that when TTCing even...and at least last time we made it to 36 weeks which in my mind was a great improvement on before....

HelenA- hope you conceive soon too and go on to have a smooth, healthy pregnancy

Will be interested if anyone finds out anything more about microgynon and PE- it seems too many of us have been on this particular pill and then developed PE for it to be just coincidence, though I realise it's a lot more complicated than that....

Huge hugs,
Annika xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mouse
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Tue 22 Jul 2008, 3:38 pm

I just wanted to try to reassure those of you who have taken microgynon that it's one of the most frequently prescribed contraceptive pills so there's a good chance that it's just a coincidence that you were all taking the same brand - it's the one I prescribe first line as most people tend to have very few side effects on it.
I would hope that if there was a link to PET that it would have been picked up due to the sheer numbers of people taking it, but you can't always rely on that. I'll try & look into it a bit more & will feed back if I find anything out.
M xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Tue 22 Jul 2008, 8:35 pm

Hi Mouse,

Thanks for looking into it too. I too think it is a bizarre coincidence but I have emailed the BNF (British National Formulary - book for medics & pharmacists) for guidance.
If I uncover anything else, I will keep everyone posted.

Best wishes to everyone
Liz

Lacey
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Tue 22 Jul 2008, 8:58 pm

Hi Liz, Annika and Mouse,

Thank you for your replies.

Annika, it is frustrating knowing there are no predisposing factors and the whole journey to get there has been frustrating. In a way having problems with appointments and lost bloods made me realise that getting the answers I wanted meant that I had to be prepared to try again to get that ultimate answer of is it possible...... Look what I achieved after a dreadful PE exerience at 25 weeks! Who knows where this new possibility will take us three.

M, Feedback is brilliant. I was very happy on that pill and had no problems until I had Orla, no other mini-pill has worked for me like Microgynon which is probably my age!

Good luck to everyone of us on our journeys! I'm so relieved and excited to be sharing this with people who understand.

Lacey x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ingrid
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Wed 23 Jul 2008, 8:47 am

Hi everyone

WOW I didnt think just a chance remark could throw open a debate on wether or not this Mini Pill has any connections, Question Samantha was only saying she woudnt take it as she just had a feeling that this might have been the cause but we will never know.

It does seem strange that so many of you on this small forum where taking this pill and all suffered with PE its like any medications no one realy knows what side effects there can be and it could be years before finding out ( thalidamide comes to mind) I just hope that this is not the case and many have suffered unnecessarily I just hope that it is all a coincidence.

Ingrid x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HayleyP80
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Wed 23 Jul 2008, 1:34 pm

Good Luck Lacey and Helen!

Penny, My cons advised that we also use the Mirena coil when the time comes. I totally know what you mean about options being limited. I had been on the pill for many years so my body will no doubt be glad those days are over!

Love
Hayley xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Penny
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Wed 23 Jul 2008, 9:02 pm

Hayley, Am glad your cons has advised it, it is great, though does take a while to settle down, once you get over the teething problems ( spotting, cramps etc.) its fab as you hardly bleed at all if at all.
Like you say i think my body was glad of the break from all the pills.
Hope you feeling ok,
oh and just relaised little bean in due a few days after Macks birthday... lets hope its a lucky week xxxx
Pen x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HelenA
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   Thu 24 Jul 2008, 6:55 am

Thanks for your good wishes ladies-I hope this month might be my month.
Thinking back I don't recall anyone ever asking me which pill I had been on prior to conception, and I did take part in some research of Prof Walkers that involved a questionnaire and blood tests for myself and Grace.
I suppose if its not a question that is asked then how would anyone know?
I have to say that I was very happy on microgynon and had no (known) side effects from it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The contraceptive pill   

Back to top Go down

The contraceptive pill
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1