Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Do you have any advice?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gkpurch
New User

PostSubject: Do you have any advice?   Wed 30 Nov 2011, 9:19 am

Hi, I'm new here. I developed pre eclampsia in my first pregnancy when I was 5 days overdue. I may have had it before then, but didn't get any symptoms. no one ever really told me how bad the pre eclampsia was but I think at one stage they weren't happy with my reflexes. So I don't know if that means it was a bit more than mild? Any way, my son was born fit and healthy :-) 

Anyway, when I was discharged a doctor came in and said when we next want a baby I should see my GP first. I saw my GP today and he didnt know why they said that. 

Do you have any advice?

Thanks, kirsty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Do you have any advice?   Wed 07 Dec 2011, 10:57 am

Dear Kirsty,

Welcome to the forum and Thank you for your post.

It would be worth asking your GP to refer you back to the hospital where your baby was delivered to go through your notes with the doctor who delivered your son.
There are often markers in a pregnancy which can help to identify what was going on and the severity.
Reduced reflexes are a symptom of PE but you need to know what your booking BP was through to its highest, what protein you had in your urine (if any) and what your blood markers were. Things like, platelet and urea levels. Were there any signs of your son being a small for dates baby or poor placental condition.

This information should help to plan the care you need in any subsequent pregnancy. For example, if there were high levels of protien but no high blood pressure then giving you dipsticks to use at home will be helpful.

You might want to ask questions about underlying conditions such as lupus, thyroid or sticky blood syndromes. These condidtions effect the way PE behaves but can be effectively managed - if you know about them as they are not routinely screened for.

You could also consider an expert referral (avaialble on the NHS). I can let you know of Experts in your area.

I hope this helps Kirsty but do let me know if there is something I have not covered or you would like more information about.

Best Wishes
Liz

Do you have any advice?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1