Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Confused

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kylie
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Confused   Sat 29 Jan 2011, 9:03 pm

I just wanted a bit of help. I had my son in May 2009 at 27 weeks due to pre eclampsia. He's now 20 months and doing fine.

I had a lot of confusion in my pregnancy as some of the doctors thought I had pre existing essential hypertension, but I hadn't been given that diagnosis before pregnancy.

Anyway, I was put on the evil methyldopa at 24 weeks, which did nothing, and then stayed on it for a further 4 weeks, after which my BP had normalised and I was discharged from further checks. My GP was quite certain that the high BP was purely pregnancy related (despite having been in the "pre existing hypertension" camp whilst pregnant)

So two weeks ago I got around to changing GP practices as I have moved, and my BP was 180/100 which is high for me (I'm not pregnant, and my husband has had a vasectomy as we didn't want to try again)

My new GP is in a bit of a tiz woz about it and is panicking that I have kidney damage.

Could this have something to do with the pre eclampsia? Should I be concerned? I have had, so far, an ecg, which was, thankfully, normal, and about to have fasting bloods.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
amanda9
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Confused   Sun 30 Jan 2011, 1:32 pm

HI Kylie - I know this is an as Liz Forum, so I hope you don't mind me putting up a reply, but I thought it might reassure you.

Like you I developed high blood pressure very early in pregnancy (I was 39). I was admitted at 16 weeks for investigations, and eventually put on labetalol. I developed full-blown PE at 28 weeks and Amy was delivered at exactly 29+0 (it was an IVF pregnancy so dating was easy!). I did confuse everyone because despite the high blood pressure and protein, etc., I didn't have a headache. I was attached to drips machines, etc for three days before being allowed back to the ward. Amy had a relatively smooth journey through NICU and was discharged at 7 weeks old.

My BP has continued to be a problem. No-one can tell me if it is a result of PE or PE came on more quickly because I had pre-existing hypertension. I do remember at a check-up in my twenties being told that my BP was at the 'upper end of normal'. I have been on BP medication since Amy was born - but then my Dad was on BP meds from about 50 and my mother from 60 - they're both in their 80s now!). At 57 I tick along quite happily on a combination of co-diovan and amlodipine. I used to worry a lot about it, but to be honest as long as its controlled I don't trouble too much, and I'm in good health for my age. I do try to eat reasonably healthily and exercise (still a bit overweight though!).

I have also learnt that my blood pressure is very labile - one look at nurse, or a doctor I don't know, and it shoots up! My own GP always gets reasonable readings, because he doesn't make me nervous. I have my own machine, and he's happy to accept home readings, done on an occasional basis. If I'm due a check up, I take a few in the week running up to it.

I discovered about 18 months ago that I have slightly reduced kidney function - when they called me up for flu jabs. I hadn't realised, and it was only routine blood tests which picked it up.

So I think what I'm trying to say is, try not too worry too much. It may be that you're, like me, one of those unlucky folks who just have to take the meds .... or you may be one who's blood pressure shoots up when you see a doc. Trouble is, if you're a worrier, like me, then it goes up, then you worry, then it goes up some more! )

I hope that's helpful - and sorry, Liz, to butt in, but I thought you might be interested to hear my story as well!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kylie
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Confused   Sun 30 Jan 2011, 7:32 pm

Thanks for your reply. I know my BP is very labile, when I used to be good and go to the gym, it was always high with the boss of the gym and lower with his assitants! And it always shoots up around male doctors. It was always lower at the hospital during pregnancy, which was bizarre as you would have thought it would be higher there!

I'm not worried so much as a bit annoyed, that if I hadn't changed doctors surgerys I would have had no idea. My new GP is a bit of an old woman, bless him and he did put the wind up me, as he did suspect I would have heart damage, but all is fine there for now. It's more a clinical perspective I was after, but it appears like so much with PE, no one really knows what happens in the long term for women who have had this, unless Liz knows of or can find something I haven't come across.

My pregnancy was a nightmare as I knew there was something wrong really early, but because I had declared on my pregnancy notes that I'd had reactive depression in the past, my GP and MW wanted me treated for depression in pregnancy as I kept mithering them every week that there was something wrong. My poor community MW nearly keeled over when she popped onto delivery suited and saw my name with "delivered" stamped on it! She'd only seen me two days before!

Joseph had severe IUGR and a torried time in NICU but he's ok now, thankfully!

Glad you are ok and your precious daughter! What an evil condition PE is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nicki
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Confused   Sun 13 Feb 2011, 12:58 pm

Hi Kylie,
Just thought I wuld add some of my recent experiences- I had severe PE for my 1st preg. 3 yrs ago and mild for my 2nd - 4months ago. Bth times I came off medication within about 8 weeks. However my BP still remianed labile. It shot up when on the digital machines but remained fairly constant on the manual one. My GP was concerned about how labile it was as there is apparently alot of research about how labile BP is as bad as always hypertensive. So he put me on a 24hr BP machine. Yes, I had some peaks during the day (doesn't everyone!!- especially with a screaming baby!) but it was generally good and certainly not up and down all day long. This was very reassuring and although I need to keep an eye on my Bp I can carry on with life. It might be that you request one to reassure you or help you with management. I'm sure Liz will give some excellent advice too.
Cheers Nicki
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bell
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Confused   Sun 13 Feb 2011, 7:03 pm

Hi Kylie,

I never knew of any problems with my blood pressure until I had severe PE in my first pregnancy in 2006 and remained on Labetalol until during my second pregnancy in 2010. I was taken off it because i had a low Bp but 4 weeks after delivering my wee girl i was put back on labetalol but at a lower dose as i became hypertensive again.

Hope your gp gets you sorted.xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Confused   

Back to top Go down

Confused
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1