Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Okay...... so I'm on a new journey.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
littlejacksmum
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Okay...... so I'm on a new journey.   Tue 11 Jan 2011, 9:44 pm

Hi all, I joined this forum after having my little boy (almost 2 years) at 33 weeks due to PE (my story is floating about further down)........ well, I am 5 weeks pregnant!! Absolutely over the moon but if I'm honest, totally petrified as well.

My booking in appointment with the midwife is on 3rd Feb, however, I went to the Docs this evening for my swine flu jab and a chat with him due to previous issues - that didn't go great. The good thing is that he confirmed I will definitely be Consultant led, which was great to know. I asked him about low-dose aspirin and he said that there wasn't any firm evidence as far as he was concerned that it made a difference, he was very positive that I was unlikely to get PE again - but how does he know, really?? He said that it wasn't something I would need to consider at this stage as that wasn't the urgency. However, he did reiterate that I would be Cons led and heavily monitored.

Then came the dreaded BP check. I don't know if it was white-coat syndrome or what, but my reading was 150/90 - sooooooooo not good. I haven't had my BP done since I was discharged after having Jack but from what I can remember it did sort itself out after last time (and a fair amount of Labetalol!!). Doc wasn't happy with that and gave me a machine to do 10 checks over the next couple of days, although he did say that if my lower number wasn't out of the 90s in 24 hours that I was to phone him!!

I am so scared. How can my BP be so high so early on!! I know I should relax and chill out, but it's easier said that done!!

Thanks for reading if you've got this far - bit of a ramble!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Okay...... so I'm on a new journey.   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 10:50 am

Hello again little Jacks Mum,

I have just replied to your earlier message - but congratulations again!

If I may pick up on a couple of things in your post?

Your blood pressure is very likely to be high out of pure anxiety right now, so I really wouldnt worry about it.

Secondly, unless the BP machine that your GP has given you is the microlife - 3BTO - then it will be highly likely to be inaccurate. When you are pregnant your arteries work in a very different way and you have more blood volume. So if the machine is not designed for pregnancy how can it be guaranteed to be accurate?
If you want to look at the machine & post me the make / model number I will check its validity in pregnancy for you - but even then in a pre-eclamptic pregnancy it is only the 3BTO that has been licensed to use in the UK.

You might find monitoring your own BP at home to be more reassuring if so here is a link to a reputable supplier - Blood Pressure Association shop

I would also suggest seeking an expert opinion if you can & get a care plan sorted from someone who is experienced and qualified to support you.

Start as you mean to go on!

Best Wishes
Liz

Bell
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Okay...... so I'm on a new journey.   Wed 12 Jan 2011, 5:29 pm

The biggest Congratulations! Very Happy I am sooooooooooo happy for you. Take care of yourself.xxxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlejacksmum
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Okay...... so I'm on a new journey.   Fri 14 Jan 2011, 8:19 pm

So we seem to be making some progress!!

I stuck to my guns and went back to the surgery because my bp was still high and the aspirin things was niggling me. Our Doctor phoned the hospital and took advice from a senior Consultant - it would seem that we now have a plan........

I am to start on low-dose aspirin asap (I allowed myself a little smile when he told me this), and I am to have weekly BP checks. On 3rd February I will officially book in with our midwife but then be immediately referred to the hospital to be under a Consultant. A care plan will be put together and it will be decided at that stage (I'll be about 8 weeks) whether or not I need to go on Labetalol or similar.

I feel so much better now, it's nice to know that someone has taken charge and that we will be monitored. I know that ultimately what will be will be, but if I can do anything to keep this vile thing away from us then I will.

Thanks again Liz for your advice!
And Bell, great to hear from you, I've replied to you on FB as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Okay...... so I'm on a new journey.   Sun 16 Jan 2011, 12:02 pm

Hi little Jacks Mum,

Im so glad you were able go back to your GP and get the aspirin. Im glad he also took the advice of a consultant as this 'puts you in the system' so to speak.
When you get your appointment with the hospital, dont forget that you are entitled to see the consultant himself - you dont have to settle for a junior doctor, they just dont have the experience to care for you.

Looking forward to getting to 'know' you.

Best Wishes
Liz

littlejacksmum
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Okay...... so I'm on a new journey.   Fri 04 Feb 2011, 11:05 am

Sorry for the delay, but here is a bit of an update.

I booked in with the midwife yesterday. I am now 8+3. I have automatically been referred to a Consultant at hospital which is reassuring. My BP is still being a bit naughty, highest reading yesterday was 151/111 but that came down a bit and settled around 135-145/94 ish.

GP has put me on 100mg of Labetalol twice daily. He reassures me that Labetalol is fine and won't harm the baby. Obviously I have googled it on the internet and am now pooping myself because in amongst the "Labetalol is fine" stuff, there is also research which says that can cause problems. Liz..... anyone........ please tell me to stop being silly and step away from Google.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emmie
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Okay...... so I'm on a new journey.   Tue 08 Feb 2011, 5:33 pm

Hi Little Jack's mum,

Firstly Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

Secondly, I'm fairly sure Labetelol is safe during pregnancy. I was on it during my last pregnancy and I know many women on this forum have been on it and have gone on to deliver healthy babies. Indeed, one of my friends who had BP problems with all three of her pregnancies, has just delivered her son full term whilst being on Labetelol.

So step away from Google!! Laughing

Seriously, I'm sure Liz will be along soon to offer some advice!
Emma
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlejacksmum
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Okay...... so I'm on a new journey.   Tue 08 Feb 2011, 9:41 pm

Thanks Emma for your reply.

I will indeed step away from Google!

Am not feeling great this evening. I went to the Docs for my weekly BP check and despite the Labetalol BP is up again (149/101) and I also had 1+ protein in my wee - I'm only 9wks for crying out loud!! My labetalol doseage has been doubled (200mg twice a day now), I'm back at the Docs in the morning, but am not entirely sure what he's going to do, to be honest he's pretty useless. Initially he refused to give me aspirin before being told to my the Consultant. I have to phone the ward up on Thursday to get my scan date (which should be in a couple of weeks) and after my scan, on the same day I will see a Consultant - I'm wondering whether I should just ask to be referred tomorrow, if just to put my mind at rest. Hey ho!

Carly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Okay...... so I'm on a new journey.   

Back to top Go down

Okay...... so I'm on a new journey.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1