Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Measuring Small

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
emmie
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Measuring Small   Mon 15 Nov 2010, 1:45 pm

Well, went for my weekly appointment earlier today and everything was going ok until I got measured. They asked me if I would mind if a Junior doctor measured me and I said no, but he only measured me at 25cm (28+2 today)! The doctor who was with him then measured me at 25cm also Sad I was really panicking at this point (every little thing) so my Consultant, who I'd just seen, came in and tried to reassure me by saying it wasn't an exact science and everyone gets different measurements and my scan last week had shown the baby was measuring above target etc. etc. However, I still wasn't convinced so he measured me also and got 27cm. Feel a bit better, and know growth can vary but hope he wasn't just saying it just to reassure me and really I am measuring smaller! Aargh!

Anyone else experience this? Could it be because I am only small myself (height and weight)? But then I would have thought I would be showing bigger than taller ladies?

Just feel a bit anxious still.
Emma
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Measuring Small   Mon 15 Nov 2010, 2:34 pm

Hi Emma,

I do understand the feeling of measuring small and then getting what is potentially false reassurance, its enough to drive you crazy when you are working so hard to reassure yourself. Measuring really is a 'rough guide'.
I suggest either getting hubby to measure you over the next week (draw a little mark to make sure you measure from exact points every time) and keep an eye yourself.

If at your next appointment which shouldnt be too long after (or of course if anything changes) then ask for another growth / doppler scan.
When you see for yourself - you will know if you should feel more reassured & in control.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes
Liz

jules
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Measuring Small   Tue 16 Nov 2010, 4:55 pm

Honestly, I'm not sure why they bother doing these as the results seem so "random". I've apparently got smaller between appointments(!), accoding to the tape measure (even though I know I'm getting bigger because I can't get any clothes on and the growth scans show the baby is still growing normally). It jst varies so much depending on who does the measurement.

I would really just focus on the growth scans and ignore this. They are so inaccurate they are not worth even thinking about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bell
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Measuring Small   Wed 17 Nov 2010, 1:28 pm

Hi Emma,

I'm sorry you had such a upset at your last appointment. I hope you've got another growth scan really soon so that you can put your mind to rest.

Thinking of you

Bell.x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jules
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Measuring Small   Wed 17 Nov 2010, 1:44 pm

if this makes you feel any better, I now have my notes in front of me and at 27 weeks I was only 24cm; however, I've had growth scans every 2 weeks since 28 weeks and the baby has continued to grow normally. I don't think these measurements mean a lot.

Best wishes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emmie
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Measuring Small   Wed 17 Nov 2010, 3:48 pm

Thankyou ladies. I do feel a bit better now I've had time to think about it. The baby was measuring about 28 weeks at my 27 week scan so surely he must be growing on target! I've got a midwife appointment tomorrow and another appointment next week so if I'm still measuring small then I'm going to ask for a growth scan because my next scheduled one isn't until I'm 31 weeks!

Liz, I did try measuring at home but we weren't sure where we shold measure from Shocked .

Thankyou again everyone, you are all so supportive and I really appreciate it!
Emma xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bea's Mummy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Measuring Small   Wed 17 Nov 2010, 7:27 pm

Hi Emma,
Was going to say that I have been measuring a week behind for the last few weeks. My baby is biggish according to the scan...try not to worry too much. Easier said than done I know! xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emmie
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Measuring Small   Thu 18 Nov 2010, 3:38 pm

Well, got measured today again and my Midwife measured me at 29cm! After chatting with her and hearing your stories I now do think it is totally random and depends upon who is doing the measurements. I mean, now I'm measuring bigger and have gone up 4cm in 3 days!! I feel well in myself, baby is moving and I feel 'normal sized' so just going to rely on my own instincts and insist I get another scan sooner if i feel off.

Thank you all again
Emma xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jules
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Measuring Small   Tue 23 Nov 2010, 6:08 pm

Today (at 34+6) I was only 27 cm! Whilst 2 weeks ago at 32+6 I was 31cm! As I've had scans every 2 weeks I know the baby has continued to grow normally, but these measurements seem meaningless and I'm not sure why anyone bothers with them!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Measuring Small   

Back to top Go down

Measuring Small
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1