Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

39 weeks and christmas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jules
Forum Friend

PostSubject: 39 weeks and christmas   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 5:54 pm

Had a chat with consultant today. They really want to not induce at 38 weeks, but go on at least until 39. The reasons for that seemed a bit hypothetical and they admitted there was no clear evidence of risks from delivering at 38, but just that they had a conservative policy. I am so bloody fit and well this time (BP 99/59 today!) that there does not seem as yet to be any medical reason to deliver early - I really hope that does remain the case of course but I don't want to just go on longer than needed.

For me, 39+0 weeks is 22nd December. This feels too close to christmas - I don't want to run the risk of being in hospital over that period when I know there tend to be staff shortages! I'm too frightened of there not being enough people around to really manage if myself or the baby need extra help. They will undoubtedly tell me there are enough people on-call - but there is also evidence that perinatal mortality is slightly higher at weekends / overnight / holiday periods! Persumably not for no reason!

I still don't feel very reassured about this. How would you feel about being in hospital over christmas with my past history?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jules
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 39 weeks and christmas   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 6:59 pm

I now feel like opening a bottle of wine this evening to help me manage with the anxiety of possibly being in hospital over christmas / new year when there are fewer experienced staff around! [I have not been drinking this or any pregnancy!] Surely that must be worse for the baby than delivery at 38 weeks lol xx [I will stay off it]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tomsmammy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 39 weeks and christmas   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 9:30 pm

Hi Jules,
I cant comment specifically on obstetric cover over the holidays, I worked on a general surgical ward until recently. i do agree that it used to be the case where in general, places were "ran short" over the holiday period, but please let me try to reassure that that just does not happen anymore. i know this from doing the rota the last few years!! gone are the days when people dont want to be in hospital over christmas, and we even had several patients going to theatre for relatively minor surgery last christmas day.
have you chatted this over with your consultant? he/she should hopefully be able to clarify if the labour wards and postnatal wards are staffed as normal. In a and e when i worked there (and that was several years ago now), we never ever ran below normal numbers of staff, and all other high care area's are the same. hope that helps a little xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jules
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 39 weeks and christmas   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 10:08 pm

I have already asked this, and they told me that the staffing is below normal over the holiday period, and that, for example, they do not plan any elective cs or inductions over that time period for that reason. They assured me that there is always a consultant on call; but not in the hospital so not sure how long it would take them to arrive if an emergency.

I know from relatively recent family experience (on a large stroke unit) that staffing can be well below normal at weeekends - and that was in a major London hospital.

It does vary a lot though between hospitals and specialties...

Best wishes

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bell
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 39 weeks and christmas   Wed 10 Nov 2010, 10:43 am

Hi Jules,

Sorry to hear that this is causing you so much stress. My due date is two days before you and i don't fancy being in over Christmas either but luckily consultant is planning to deliver me at 38 weeks all going well.

I work in Critical care and the staffing numbers of nurses & doctors are kept the same no matter what day of year it is. The staffing levels that drop but normally have a oncall person are services such as OT, physio, ECG tech etc. Even although for instance physio is oncall they always come to ITU, HDU automatically on Christmas day and will visit patients in other parts of the hospital too that are in need.

There is always a medical consultant, surgeon and anaethetic consultant on call. They all come in on Christmas day. Do the normal wardrounds and then can go home or to the oncall rooms. If they go home they must be able to return to the hospital within a matter of minutes and always have their moby phone/ pager on them.

Hope you are feeling alittle better today. These unborn babies of ours cause so much stress don't they?

Take care

Bell.x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 39 weeks and christmas   

Back to top Go down

39 weeks and christmas
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1