Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Timing of delivery...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jules
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Timing of delivery...   Wed 27 Oct 2010, 6:53 pm

Midwife has got me very worried about this now by suggesting I should go on as long as possible with this pregnancy, even beyond my due date. The idea terrifies me and just feels like inviting more time for severe pre-eclampsia to develop / another stillbirth to occur. I know there are risks of early delivery and cs, but I am not requesting either of those, just a delivery when the baby is full-term or near (past 38 weeks). I could not really countenance the idea of losing another baby at this later stage of pregnancy.

Can I ask, those who had very severe pre-eclampsia / stillbirth, were they offered labour induction (or cs) in a subsequent pregnancy, and if so when? And what was the consultants' reasoning behind this, if they explained it to you?

I'm so concerned that I think I might try to change provider or even go private if my consultants won't offer me a delivery by 38-39 weeks or so, unless they can give me very good reasons for waiting. I will listen to their views and accept that they have much greater knowledge, but it seems to me that few women with a past history like mine are being encouraged to go 40+ weeks, so I'm not clear why I am!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bell
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Timing of delivery...   Thu 28 Oct 2010, 9:43 am

Hi Jules,

My consultant has offered me induced labour at 38 weeks. She said there is no point letting me go on any further.

I would ask your consultant about it, its not the midwives decision. The next time you go ask if you can speak to your consultant.

Hope you get on ok.

Bell.x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Timing of delivery...   Thu 28 Oct 2010, 11:27 am

Hi Jules,

I absolutley agree with Bell.
The health care providers also have an obligation to look after your emotional health.
If continuing with a pregnancy past 38 wekks is going to increase your risk of post natal depression etc, then in view of your history, induction is the kindest option.

Hope this helps - but my suggestion is to stand your ground!

Best Wishes
Liz

jules
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Timing of delivery...   Thu 28 Oct 2010, 12:57 pm

Thanks.

I think it would drive me nuts to just have to keep going much past 38 weeks, and I would have to retaliate by turning up daily at the MAU complaining of all sorts of vague possible PE symptoms until they gave in! Of course, I'm not that confident I'll get that far with no complications anyway...

The idea of potentially going into labour over the christmas / new year period when fewer staff are around also concerns me. In my last pregnancy, only the consultant anaesthetist was able to put a line in due to the massive oedema I had, for example. I know there will be cover available, but it will be reduced and might take longer to turn up. At least I had my medical emergency during office hours in my last pregnancy!

I feel incredibly vulnerable when pregnant, and a very insensitive and unconsiencious midwife can greatly upset me. I will talk to my consultant but I don't have another appointment until 9 November - and am pretty worked up now.

Thanks again.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
emmie
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Timing of delivery...   Thu 28 Oct 2010, 1:58 pm

Hi Jules,

Like Bell, I have been offered an induction at 38 weeks and my Consultant has written it down in my hand held notes so everyone is aware. He also said to me that if I was upset with anyone or they said something I wasn't happy with to contact his secretary and he'd get straight back to me with answers to my questions- is this something you could do?

That midwife had no right to tell you what would happen, the care is coming from above her now. Honestly, some midwifes make me soo mad! They don't seem to be able to comprehend what we went through and think they can just treat us as 'normal' patients. My midwife has said/done things on numerous occasions that have made me so upset, so now I just take evrything she says with a grain of salt and ask the Consultant instead. I just have the mindset that I am seeing her to check my BP and urine and collect forms from her!

Emma
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Timing of delivery...   

Back to top Go down

Timing of delivery...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1