Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

16 week scan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bea's Mummy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: 16 week scan   Thu 01 Jul 2010, 7:17 am

Hi all,
I had my scan yesterday and all appeared normal but a bit worried about something. Baby was slightly small but still in normal range. Bea was growth restricted and I'm scared its starting with this baby. I'm small, so not expecting a huge baby but can't stop worrying! Has anyone had a growth restricted and very prem baby and then gone on to just have a normally small baby the next time? I know there aren't answers just hoping someone has had a positive.

Lizzie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jules
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 16 week scan   Thu 01 Jul 2010, 7:46 am

sorry to hear this Bea. I have this scan in two weeks time.

How small was the baby? Can you give us any more details?

If its only slight I would try not to worry (futile, I know) because the growth measurements aren't really even all that accurate - and can vary depending on the technician carrying them out. And growth is not linear anyway; it can fluctuate normally. I am very small too but Alice was right on the 50% percentile at every scan I had up to 25 weeks.

If you are worried can you ask for another scan in 2 weeks with the same technician? [that would be just to see if there is any trend]

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bea's Mummy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 16 week scan   Thu 01 Jul 2010, 8:06 am

Thanks for your reply jules. Its only small by a few days. The legs are short but I do have really short legs so consultant thinks that's why. They are about 4 or 5 days smaller. The tummy is spot on for dates and head is about 2 or 3 days smaller. Consultant tried to reassure me that its normal but I can't help thinking...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jules
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 16 week scan   Thu 01 Jul 2010, 9:10 am

I'm sure your consultant is right, and that is within the normal range, but I would be worrying too give the history of IUGR you had with Bea.

I think I would ask for an 18 week scan in your position.

I read somewhere else that PE is slightly more common in small women (I am 5'2").
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emmie
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 16 week scan   Thu 01 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm

Hi Lizzie

Try not to worry (easier said than done I know). I'm sure the Consultant would have said if it was anything to be concerned about.

I don't know if this helps, but they said Ricky was measuring small- they had him at 400 something grams, when he was born he was nearly 100 grams heavier. It's like Jules said, it's all dependant upon the skill of the sonographer.

Also, Ricky's legs were measuring slightly smaller than his abdomen and head, but my Consultant said that was nothing to worry about.

I too am small, only 5'3. It's very interseting to hear that PE seems to effect small women!!

Take care
Emma
xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bea's Mummy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 16 week scan   Thu 01 Jul 2010, 3:47 pm

Thanks Emma,
I'm a little calmer now. Had what I think was a panic attack this morning. Couldn't breathe and was so stressed. I find scans bring it all back, no matter what the news, it just makes me think of Bea. I am only 5'1 and yes it is interesting! All of us 'appear' to not have any other issues so you wonder if that is it.

Lizzie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bell
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 16 week scan   Thu 01 Jul 2010, 6:49 pm

Hi Lizzie,

Hope you are feeling alittle better tonight.

Just wanted to say i'm small too, only 4'10 so maybe there is something in it.

Bell.x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 16 week scan   Thu 01 Jul 2010, 10:11 pm

Hi Lizzie,

Im really not an expert on dates & sizes when it comes to sonography, however, from what I do understand baby seems quite happy where s/he is. I am happy to ask a colleague if you would like for a more qualified opinion?

Babies do have growth spurts and rest days even before theyre born & this just might coincide with a little rest before another growth blast.

I know that 'not worrying' is a futile exercise after a tussle with PE but one scan can be so subjective that it seems this is preying on your mind because it hasnt given you the exact answer you need to hear.

I hope you will soon find that reassurance.
Warm wishes
Liz

Bea's Mummy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 16 week scan   Fri 02 Jul 2010, 2:35 pm

Thanks liz, the more I think about it, the more I have a feeling my 12 wk scan was out. According to my dates (I used ovulation kits) I was due about 18th to 19th dec. This was also the same at 8 week scan. Then 12 wk scan brought it fwd to 15th dec which really would not tie in with my cycle. I'm hoping this is the case anyway as then baby would be more or less spot on! Do u think this could be possible? Or am I clutching at straws?!

Lizzie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 16 week scan   Fri 02 Jul 2010, 10:26 pm

Hi Lizzie,

I think its entirely possible to the point of probable that your dates are most likely the correct ones!
Especially as your previousscans also tied in with your dates.
Best Wishes
Liz

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 16 week scan   

Back to top Go down

16 week scan
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1