Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I hope this helps

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Donna
Admin

PostSubject: I hope this helps   Thu 24 Apr 2008, 5:55 pm

My experience of pre-eclampsia began 13 years ago when at 26 weeks pregnant I began to feel unwell. At first the symptoms were vague but I knew that something was wrong. I visited my GP who found that I had a trace of protein in my urine and slightly raised BP but was not particularly concerned. Over the next few weeks I visited my GP and my midwife, convinced that something was wrong and although my BP and protein level were increasing still nothing was done. I had begun to put on weight at an alarming rate and was experiencing terrible headaches but still I believed what I was being told. Eventually one of the doctors at the hospital where I was working as a staff nurse made me go to my doctor and raise the question of pre eclampsia, a condition that I knew nothing about despite being a trained nurse. I was referred back to my midwife who visited me at home for several days and then eventually referred me to hospital at 34 weeks with dangerously high blood pressure.

After one week in hospital on strict bedrest and suffering terrible headaches and visual disturbances my consultant decided that if my baby was not delivered immediately I would begin fitting. Our son was born by emergency c section at 35 weeks gestation and was immediately taken into SCBU suffering breathing difficulties.

As I was so ill I was not able to visit him until later the following day by which time I was distraught. Looking at him in his incubator I was convinced that something would go wrong and we would lose him and felt that the only way to protect myself was to remain detached. Over the next week his condition deteriorated and I really feared for him. Then suddenly he turned the corner. We were allowed to take him home after 2 weeks.

I couldn't believe how terrible I felt. I felt that somehow I had done something wrong and it was my fault that he had suffered, that because I hadn't been with him from the start that I wasn't a proper mum and that I couldn't trust the doctors when they told me that he was fine. I knew nothing about pre eclampsia and I had no information from the hospital. When I asked my consultant if it could happen again she reassuringly told me "it might or it might not. You'll have to wait and see!" I decided there and then that I couldn't take the chance.

Gradually as time passed my desire to have another baby became strongr than my fear about having pre eclampsia again and four years later we decided to try again. When I became pregnant again I received excellent support and advice. I was told what care I should receive and was given the support that I had so badly needed after Michael was born. During my second pregnancy I rececived excellent care from the hospital and was monitored 4 times a week, mainly to reassure me I think! I did develop pre eclampsia again but thankfully only mildly and I actually made it to my due date before I had to be induced. I gave birth to a healthy baby daughter in May 1999.

I hope that my story might give you hope if you are just starting on your journey with pre eclampsia and may inspire others to write their own stories. Together we can support each other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I hope this helps   Thu 24 Apr 2008, 7:04 pm

Hi Donna,
Thank you so much for having the courage to post your story.
I am glad you have found us here and believe that your story will offer hope and inspiration to other women & their families who have experienced this horrible condition.
Warmest wishes
Liz
Support Manager.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
Penny
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I hope this helps   Wed 04 Jun 2008, 8:01 am

Hi Donna,
I can relate to your feelings, though we were fortunate in the fact my PE was picked up earlier and we had time to 'get used to it'.
I hope I can offer as much support and hope as you do.

Penny xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I hope this helps   

Back to top Go down

I hope this helps
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1