Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

3 years on..

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MrsCav
Forum Friend

PostSubject: 3 years on..   Thu 07 Jan 2010, 11:12 am

Hi Liz,
Hope you are well and have had a good christmas.
I was talking to my sister in law who is a nurse about my daughter grace and her strange behaviour.
Grace does not like to get dirty at all weather it be something on her hands or food fallen off her plate onto the table she gets upset. she won't bake with me unless she can use a spoon and not get it on to her hands or clothes. This isn't a problem but as i said i was talking to my sister in law who said her friend at work who is a neo natal nurse has found that prem babies don't like to get dirty.
I was just wondering if anyone else has this with their preemies or is it just grace's nature. She is 3 and has been like this since she was about 2 so im not sure if it is a fase. I always thought that kids liked getting mesy.

Thanks Paula.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nicki D
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 3 years on..   Thu 07 Jan 2010, 6:52 pm

Hi Paula,

I had exactly the same with Jon - he wouldn't even eat finger food, would only eat with a spoon (advantage now is that he has great table manners for a 4 year old!) - at a big 1st birthday party for him and 5 friends, they were all diving into the chocolate cake and smearing it everywhere, and he was sitting at the table, being fed cake with a spoon Laughing Laughing

He didn't like to paint with his fingers, and didn't like play doh or anything squishy like that. He's better than he used to be, he will now do those things, but still likes to wash his hands fairly soon afterward - he also likes to have a pack of baby wipes at the table, so he can wipe his face and hands if he gets messy when he's eating. And he likes to clean up food that falls off his plate - we're gradually working on that one, leaving it for a bit longer each time.

I'd always just thought it was Jon being a bit peculiar, but it's interesting to hear of others being the same!

Love Nicki x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MrsCav
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 3 years on..   Thu 07 Jan 2010, 11:19 pm

That is very interesting grace will paint but will need to wash it off as soon as she has finished and we also have to have baby wipes so she can wipe up herself and food that has fallen off her plate. However she sometimes tries to eat gravy with her hands and then has to have them wiped. It's not so much the texture but the general messyness! Question

Thanks for the reply this intrests me a lot and will try to find out more. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3 years on..   Fri 08 Jan 2010, 2:25 pm

This is really interesting.

Aimee is happy to not wash...but doesnt like being dirty.
She would kick up a fuss if her nappy was dirty but kick up a bigger fuss when I cleaned her!

Even now she doesnt particularly like a shower or bath. (Partly because she get so cold so quickly.)

I am currently working with a paediatrician on the behaviours of prem babies that are associated with an under developed brain. I have literally (last Friday) just been given mountains of research to read on this topic.
She is planning a whole series of lectures on behaviours of the prem babies in later years. She has asked me to be a guest speaker at them.... I will keep you all posted!

Once Ive read (and understood) the research I will report back. (Do nudge me if I forget though...there are not enough hours in the day sometimes & I currently have the memory skills of a gnat!)

Best Wishes
Liz

thaiba2000
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 3 years on..   Sun 10 Jan 2010, 5:59 pm

Hi Paula,

Wow. How ineresting!

My son loves being tidy and clean. When he was younger he use to run to me everytime something sticky was on his hands and refused to eat food with his hands. When he would do some painting he'd get very excited but accidentally some paint would go on his hands and he'd just keep staring at it and then straight away would wipe it on his clothes or shake his hands realy fast thinking it might just shake off lol.

My daughter has it bad. We sit down to eat chips or something and a bit of sauce would go on her fingers and thats it..she'd stop eating and throw a tantrum until the sauce is cleaned off. I remember when she was younger she hated dirt on her feet. She would refuse to look under her feet just incase it was dirty thats when i realised somethings not right. The funny thing with this is, she has a little beauty spot under her feet and even till this day she wont look under her feet cos of it...ive seen her trying to scratch it off and shake it off etc lol. How do i tell her that it isnt dirt and that its here to stay.

My children hate dropping crumbs on the floor and will always eat on the table. My son is use to eating with his hands now because traditionally we eat food with or hands HOWEVER as soon as he's done he'll run to the kitchen to wash his hands and then he'd eat dessert wih a spoon. My sons bed is always done really neat and his clothes are kept neat and tidy.

There are alot of other things but i cant type it all up Wink

Do you think pre-mature babies develop some kind of OCD?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MrsCav
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 3 years on..   Sun 10 Jan 2010, 10:30 pm

Thanks everyone for your input i am shocked at how they are all similar but diffrent as well grace will eat with her hands but is fussy in other ways.
I asked a friend of mine who has twins that were 7 weeks early and again show similar symptoms.
I don't know if it is OCD we always used to joke she had OCD when she was little and thought it was a phase but she has never gotten out of it. Is it that somethng get triggered in the brain as it is still developing when they are born or is it because they are in such a sterile enviroment i don't know.

When is the cut off point 40 weeks or 38 weeks my son is too young he was born 42 weeks. The research liz is looking at will be interesting i will try to speak to a neonatal nurse my parents know to see if she knows of anything similar.

Thanks again everyone more stories please.
Paula xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amanda9
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 3 years on..   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 12:30 am

Hi Liz - I can't remember how old your Aimee is, but mine used to have to be cajoled into having a shower or a bath - until she was about 14 ...... then suddenly I couldn't keep her OUT of the bathroom. Complete turn around.! Just you wait!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3 years on..   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 1:34 pm

Thanks Amanda!

She is 13 in July and teenagerdom is truly underway!!!! I shall make the preparations for a porta-loo for next year if Im not going to be able to get into my bathroom!!! LOL!

Hope you are ok.

Best Wishes
Liz

tomsmammy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: 3 years on..   Sat 17 Apr 2010, 4:31 pm

this topic really interesting . . .
My little boy who is now 6 was always immaculate for the 1st, i'd say, 5 years. he has thankfully grown out of cleaning his hands ALL the time, which was a tad annoying, and is slowly loosing his need to be constantly clean, and is now much more 'normal'.
I never in a million years thought it could have anything to do with him being prem or in NNU but obviously it was!! xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laurie
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3 years on..   Wed 28 Apr 2010, 12:09 pm

hohoho
I should post a picture of Joe's bedroom....
Seventeen years of pandemonium.
Mind you, he can't bear even the slightest stain on his clothes. I think that's because he's quite vain.
Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3 years on..   Wed 28 Apr 2010, 1:32 pm

Oh Laurie,
You never fail to make me laugh! Very Happy

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3 years on..   

Back to top Go down

3 years on..