Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Can you help me with this question?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
clearmoonlight13
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Can you help me with this question?   Mon 05 Oct 2009, 9:56 am

Hi Liz
First I wanted to say I'm sorry it's been such a long time since I last logged in. I have been so busy lately. Dylan is doing really well, developing as he should, and he has now started pre school, which he loves. Also, with that happening and me having more time for myself, I decided perhaps now it's the right time to start thinking about the next one. So, after almost making the decision to start trying, I suddenly became unwell. I have been diagnosed with psoriasis, something I never had before or even showed any symptoms, but it happened now, and for 3 weeks I have been suffering with it - am now starting to get better, but still not completely well. This has now put the plans to start trying for a new baby on hold, as I don't want to do it until I am 100% well.
Now, my question is, since I descovered that psoriasis is a condition related to auto immune problems, I am worried this will affect my chances of having a PE/HELLP syndrome free pregnancy. I suppose I just worry this could be another condition that can highten my possibilities of having PE/HELLP again. Can you let me know if there is any know relation between psoriasis and PE or HELLP?
Thank you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clearmoonlight13
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Can you help me with this question?   Wed 07 Oct 2009, 8:39 am

Can somebody help me with this question? I am worried that might be a link between PE/HELLP and psoriasis. After just being diagnosed with it, and without much information about it, I am now worried that this might be another thing to worry about when it comes to trying for another baby. Anyone else has got psoriasis? If so, any advice?
Thank you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Can you help me with this question?   Wed 07 Oct 2009, 1:02 pm

Hi there!

Great to 'see you' again and to hear that Dylan is doing well!

I really dont know whats going on at the moment, Ive only just picked up this thread yet I was online replying to Berrylicious last night as I hadnt seen her thread either? Very odd????
So apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I did a bit of research on this & found that the same question had been asked on a sister forum in the USA. I shall quote it....

Q: Psoriasis is never listed as a specific risk factor for preeclampsia, but wouldn't an elevated level of TNF-alpha predispose a pregnant woman to preeclampsia? Is psoriasis just another autoimmune disease or is it a particular worry in pregnancy (I've read that it's more *immune-mediated* than autoimmune)? Ideally would a woman with a history of PE and a history of psoriasis do anything in particular prior to conception?

A: from the Expert. I don't think that psoriasis has been directly linked. It is usually limited to the skin. There is a disease called psoriatic arthritis that is a systemic disease that I would expect to be linked.

I then did some cross referencing! There was only one article published about this - effectively it said (amongst alot of waffle!) that theoretically they could be linked as ...Ongoing mapping studies have identified multiple loci that control angiogenic responsiveness in several mouse models.

There was then a 'mapping' study in Sweden which went on to conclude ''These projects have completed ....... and so far, susceptibility genes have only been identified in asthma, dyslexia and psoriasis.'' (Which means that PE is not thought to be influenced.)

I am inclined to agree with the expert in the US.

I know this is probably as clear as mud, but I hope it helps!!!!

Best Wishes
Liz

clearmoonlight13
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Can you help me with this question?   Thu 08 Oct 2009, 9:57 am

Thank you so much, Liz, for replying to me and all the information. I do see it's not very clear, however, I feel already a bit better for knowing there is no known link. I suppose any health problem I might have will make me think "what if?" and I'm sure a lot of ladies in here can relate to that.
It is great to have this forum to help us, and I will be keeping you posted on what's going on with me. I am now going to wait for when I am 100% recovered, and to see a dermatologist for the psoriasis, and then, I will probably start trying to conceive. I am sure I will be making a lot of visits here when that time comes, so bear with me Smile .
Thank you once more
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Can you help me with this question?   Thu 08 Oct 2009, 11:19 am

Im glad to be of help!

Of course we will still be here if & when you need us in the future. I hope your skin clears quickly & without too much fuss & discomfort to you.

Best Wishes
Liz

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you help me with this question?   

Back to top Go down

Can you help me with this question?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1