Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

liz.... platelets

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
berrylicious
Forum Friend

PostSubject: liz.... platelets   Sun 04 Oct 2009, 7:48 pm

my platelet level is now dropping, it dropped from 156 to 144 in 5 days.... will it continue to drop or do platelets fluctuate anyway???

I have more bloods tomo then tuesday to see what is happening. What is your experience/knowledge of low platelets, do you think delivery will be soon, at what level would they deliver my baby, and what level is considered safe for an epiudural as opposed to a GA.

no other symptoms of pre e or hellp, I dont think anyway, not CHANGING symptoms, just symptoms that have been present for a few weeks, wiht bits and bobs here and there.... bp continues to rise in between doses of methyldopa, terrible swelling all over, + of protein in urine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
berrylicious
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: liz.... platelets   Sun 04 Oct 2009, 7:53 pm

I meant to say, I'm 35 weeks now,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nicki D
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: liz.... platelets   Sun 04 Oct 2009, 8:11 pm

Hi berrylicious,

I'm no expert, but I had a spinal when my platelets were at about 86 (I think) - it does seem to depend on the obstetrician's preferences though, as I've heard that some won't give a spinal below 100.

I've also heard of some people who have had fluctuating platelets, so it may be a 'blip', but it seems that they're taking really good care of you, and monitoring you really closely.

It's great that you've got to 35 weeks, and hopefully, you'll be able to hang on just a few more weeks.

Wishing you all the best,

Nicki x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesley
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: liz.... platelets   Sun 04 Oct 2009, 9:59 pm

I think I might confuse things further with my reply but here goes...

My platelets on arrival at a&e were 67. Over the next couple of days they went back up to around 150-80 but I was on various treatments including anti-biotics which could have had some effect (?). They then plumitted to approx 30 by the time I was taken to theatre 4 days after going to a&e. So this shows they can fluctuate but I don't know how or why.

I had a spinal with a count of 30 but they did pump 2 units into me on the way to theatre. There was no talk (at least as far as I know and my cons was very open) of a general but it does seem to vary a great deal from unit to unit.

Well done for getting so far though and good luck! xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
berrylicious
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: liz.... platelets   Mon 05 Oct 2009, 9:11 am

hmmmmm, it seems to depend on the dr's preference then??? I see my consultant tomo, will ask then. I go at 1pm today for another blood count, I hope they phone me to let me know what the level is as soon as they know. I sometimes think hospitals think patients dont have a complete understanding of some medical issues and just assume not to phone wiht results either way Evil or Very Mad

I had to have a platelet transfusion wiht hollie at 37 weeks and a GA for her delivery but wiht matthew they let me have a spinal as I begged not to be put to sleep for his birth. I cant remember what the platelet count was either time tho.

thanks for your replies, as always Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
berrylicious
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: liz.... platelets   Tue 06 Oct 2009, 7:16 pm

I saw my consultant today and my platelet level has dropped to 126 today so it's likely I have hellp and it will keepo dropping so they are admitting me tomo, wiht a section scheduled for thurs morning at 11am. I'm happy for her to be delivered now, I'll be 35+5 which is just marvellous, I'm hoping a very very short stay in scbu if at all, and a weight of around 6lb maybe. I'm nervous of course, the thoguht if trying to get the spinal in again wiht all the swelling Crying or Very sad it took 3 attempts for matthew, and was so sore. then the after bit, and recovery, and no driving Crying or Very sad but it has to happen and I'm of course looking forward to meeting this little girl Very Happy I shiou;d br home at the weekend sometime and will post the stats when I can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesley
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: liz.... platelets   Tue 06 Oct 2009, 8:10 pm

Oh good luck love, I hope it all goes smoothly and you have a speedy recovery. You really have done so well getting this far despite the PE so don't forget to give yourself a huge pat on the back. Enjoy your big bundle. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: liz.... platelets   Tue 06 Oct 2009, 9:39 pm

Hi Berrylicious,

I am so so sorry, I have only just seen this thread it didnt show up at all on my screen & I was on most of today? Crying or Very sad

Platelets can & do vary significantly but as your previous history has to be acknowledged, Im glad you are being cared for so closely.

Platelet levels vary from person to person, but are usually between 150 and 400 million per millilitre of blood. During pregnancy it's normal for your platelet count to fall slightly, and up to eight per cent of pregnant women have platelet counts of between 100 and 150 million per millilitre of blood. This is because your body produces more of the liquid part of blood (plasma) during pregnancy, which means your platelets become more dilute. This doesn't affect their performance, though - they can still do their job.

Your blood test results should be written in your maternity notes. Your platelet count will look something like this: Plat. 160x10.9/L. This would mean you had a platelet count of 160. To have 'true' HELLP the platelet count would be around 50 but quite what the obstrtrician chose to do about delivery would be a balancing act between him, you, the anaesthetist & your overall health.
If plateletcount was low they might consider topping up with a platelet transfusion. All of which means...rule nothing out until the last moment.

Having said all that, should you end up in a 'worst case' situation, the difference this time around is that you are aware & in control of informed decisions - not an emergency situation. So whilst it not be fireworks & trumpets....a gentle stroll along a riverbank is just as beautiful!

I truly hope you remain well & does your baby & that come the weekend.....if not later..... we hear fabulous news.

Warmest Wishes
Liz

Nicki D
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: liz.... platelets   Wed 07 Oct 2009, 8:37 am

Wishing you all the best for a calm delivery and a very short stay in hospital. Looking forward to seeing some photos of your baby girl.

Love Nicki x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: liz.... platelets   

Back to top Go down

liz.... platelets
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pre Eclampsia support :: Welcome to Pre Eclampsia Support Forum. :: Ask Liz. :: Ask Liz...-
Jump to: