Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

PE and recurrent miscarriages

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mossy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: PE and recurrent miscarriages   Tue 15 Sep 2009, 10:39 pm

Is there a link?? I'm not sure if googling is helping or confusing me!

I hope this makes sense- I am typing this as it comes into my head!

Background- I have just suffered another miscarriage. I was 9+4 days when I found out. The baby appears to have died around 8+3 (gutted as we went for a private scan at 8 weeks and saw the heartbeat). Anyway, I have already had miscarriages at 7 weeks and another one at 5 weeks. My third pregnancy resulted in me having my daughter at 31 weeks due to PE (although when I think about it I am sure the PE started from about week 27)

With this last pregnancy(number 4) I went to my GP as soon as I knew I was pregnant she was good and sent off all my froms ASAP. I was due to have my booking in appointment with the MW @ 10+2 (yesterday) and having my scan at 12 weeks and I wasn't then seeing a consultant until I was 16 weeks. I personally thought this was very late to see the consultant- I hadn't been perscribed anything to take- but I was going with the flow.

So now I want to be militant!! I have an appointment with my GP in a couple of weeks and I want to demand a proper care plan to be put into place before I fall pregnant (plan to hold off a few months on trying yet). So how do I go about this?????

I know that a care plan in place may not stop me having a miscarriage again - but at least I would have tried. I haven't had three miscarriages in a row so will that stop them referring me to the recurrent miscarriage clinic? How do I find out who is the best consultant to deal with pre-eclampsia in my local hospital? Can I 'demand' to see them before I TTC again?

I feel there is obviously something not quite working right inside me! I know we have no problem conceiving- it has happened first time everytime we tried!

So if any of this make sense- have any of you got any suggestions??!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mossy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: PE and recurrent miscarriages   Sat 19 Sep 2009, 5:35 pm

I know you may not be able to come up with a link between them- or know of any! But if any of you have any advice on how I go to my GP and 'demand' to be seen by either the miscarriage clinic or a consultant for PE I would really appreciate your views and support.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sparkling
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: PE and recurrent miscarriages   Sun 20 Sep 2009, 12:33 pm

for my PE consult i literally went in to my gp and said i've done some research and i'd really like to go and see Prof Walker at Jimmys because i think he can help me understand what happened and make sure i'm managed correctly this time. My GP said no problem it was just the internal appointments system couldn't sort it out as they didn't know what clinic i needed to be in.

I'm sure LIz can give you the details of your local expert and you can go from there.

massive hugs to you again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: PE and recurrent miscarriages   Sun 20 Sep 2009, 9:44 pm

Hi Mossy,

I did reply to you yesterday & then my machine crashed & I didnt have time to re-boot it. I am sorry if you felt left out if the cold a bit.

You are right to be suspicious - there is a link between recurrent miscarriages and PE. Im away at the moment & cant get to the research but I will find it & re-post to you. Is that okay?

As Sparkling has said, if you would like to see an expert I can let you know your nearest. Just PM me or let me know what town you are in & I will reply.

'Speak' to you again very soon.

Best Wishes
Liz

Mossy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: PE and recurrent miscarriages   Mon 21 Sep 2009, 9:08 am

Thanks for your replies. I will PM you now Liz.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: PE and recurrent miscarriages   Thu 24 Sep 2009, 12:50 pm

Hi Mossy,

Sorry its taken me a while to reply.

Here is a link to the research on Anti-phospholipid syndrome (also known as Hughs).
It clearly states (as Does PRECOG) that women who are positive to this syndrome are 7 times more likely to suffer PE.

Info article

You dont need to have consecutive miscarriage and from what you have said, this is something that certainly warrants some further investigation.

APLS - for most women is simply 'sticky blood'. This doesnt usually cause a problem until you are pregnant & can interfere with the implantiong of the placenta - hence the miscariiages, or later in pregnancy when blood clots cause the placenta to fail - result...PE.
This condition is not routinely screened for but for women who have experienced PE &/or miscarriage should be.
Even if you do test positive, then it simply means aspirin with or without heparin is most likely necessary throughout any future pregnancy, period of immobility or a long plane journey. It certainly means increased monitoring throughout a pregnancy.

I have PMd you the info on your nearest PE experts.

I hope this helps but do let me know if I can help with anything else.

Best Wishes
Liz

mouse
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: PE and recurrent miscarriages   Thu 24 Sep 2009, 9:05 pm

Mossy I'm really sorry to hear about your recurrent miscarriages, I hope you're doing OK & getting lots of support.
I hope you manage to find a consultant who can help find a cause for the problems you've had & give you some confidence to start your next pregnancy with.
Big hugs
xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mossy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: PE and recurrent miscarriages   Mon 05 Oct 2009, 11:54 am

Thank you for all of the advice. i am off to see my GP this evening......so we shall see what happens.

AF still has not appeared since MC so will have to wait for that before we try again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: PE and recurrent miscarriages   Mon 05 Oct 2009, 1:20 pm

Good luck this evening Mossy.

Let us know how you get on.

Best Wishes
Liz

Mossy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: PE and recurrent miscarriages   Wed 16 Dec 2009, 9:30 pm

I haven't updated this for a while- not that there is a lot to update!

Since I last posted I went to see a consultant about my previous pregnancy notes. I didn't like his attitude at all (but that is a whole other story). Anyway I managed to have some blood tests done by him (after a bit of persuasion) for APLS and Lupus. These have both come back normal but he did say to start on 75mg of asprin as soon as I fall pregnant again. On that front I am still not pregnant. I thought I would be by now- we've always been lucky and conceived first month of trying everytime. Hoping to start 2010 off to a good start!

I'm releived that the results are normal (partly because my mum's cousin had died of Lupus) but at the same time I wanted an answer for why I kept miscarrying. SO here is to 2020 when I have a healthy child with no PE.....well we can wish for it anyway!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thaiba2000
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: PE and recurrent miscarriages   Wed 16 Dec 2009, 10:50 pm

Goodluck with everything Mossy, im glad everythings positive for you now. I know the consultation wasnt as good as you'd hoped but the results were good and i bet you have a peace of mind now. Heres to 2010 and wishing you all the best. Let us know how things go!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mossy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: PE and recurrent miscarriages   Thu 17 Dec 2009, 10:37 pm

Mossy wrote:
I haven't updated this for a while- not that there is a lot to update!

Since I last posted I went to see a consultant about my previous pregnancy notes. I didn't like his attitude at all (but that is a whole other story). Anyway I managed to have some blood tests done by him (after a bit of persuasion) for APLS and Lupus. These have both come back normal but he did say to start on 75mg of asprin as soon as I fall pregnant again. On that front I am still not pregnant. I thought I would be by now- we've always been lucky and conceived first month of trying everytime. Hoping to start 2010 off to a good start!

I'm releived that the results are normal (partly because my mum's cousin had died of Lupus) but at the same time I wanted an answer for why I kept miscarrying. SO here is to 2020 when I have a healthy child with no PE.....well we can wish for it anyway!

I hope that typo doesn't happen and I have to wait another 10 years to have a child Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: PE and recurrent miscarriages   Fri 18 Dec 2009, 3:18 pm

That did make me chuckle there Mossy!!!! Laughing

Liz

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PE and recurrent miscarriages   

Back to top Go down

PE and recurrent miscarriages
View previous topic View next topic Back to top