Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

pregnant wiht #3... aspirin and herpirin

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
berrylicious
Forum Friend

PostSubject: pregnant wiht #3... aspirin and herpirin   Sat 28 Mar 2009, 7:53 pm

how much can aspirin and herpirin help?

I took nothign wiht hollie who reached 37 weeks
aspirin wiht matthew who only got to 28 weeks
and this one I am on aspirin and 20mg of herpirin

how do the drugs work and how effective are they?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: pregnant wiht #3... aspirin and herpirin   Mon 30 Mar 2009, 11:11 am

Hi there,

Both drugs work by reducing the 'stickiness' of our blood cells making it harder for clots to form, but the both work in different ways.
The idea behind using these drugs is that it increases the liklihood that a blood clot wont form in the placenta due to poorly develop arteries. Most women with previous history of PE also tend to have stickier blood than those that dont get PE. So if you have sticky blood & poorly developed arteries in the placenta the more likely that the placenta will end up with a blood clot that clould slow babies growth, impair the oxygen & nutrients from getting to baby & harder for the 'toxins' that naturally build to get back to mums circulation to be dealt with. The best analogy I can give is that with PE its a bit like trying to squirt treacle through a needle - the heparin & aspirin thin the treacle to become more watery & will be more easily squirted!
It is generally advised if a previous experience of PE has occured before 35 weeks in order to maximise the opportunity for a longer gestation. I hope this helps to answer your question.

Best Wishes
Liz

berrylicious
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: pregnant wiht #3... aspirin and herpirin   Mon 30 Mar 2009, 12:42 pm

thanks liz, that's very helpful Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ingrid
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: pregnant wiht #3... aspirin and herpirin   Mon 30 Mar 2009, 5:18 pm

Hi Berrylicious

Just to say Congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope all goes well for you.

I am sure they will be keeping an eye on you more closely due to you having PE in your last pregnancy, I hope you take comfort in the knowledge that alot of ladies on here have had PE free Pregnancies, My daughter called the asprin her little miracle pill do keep us posted, when are you due?

Take Care

Ingrid xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
berrylicious
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: pregnant wiht #3... aspirin and herpirin   Tue 31 Mar 2009, 7:08 am

hi ingrid, I'm due november. I've had pe e twice, both severe so I've accepted that I will likely get it a third time too, it's just holding off as long as possible. I really want to get to 30+weeks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pregnant wiht #3... aspirin and herpirin   

Back to top Go down

pregnant wiht #3... aspirin and herpirin
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1