Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My Story - Eleanor

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sparkling
Forum Friend

PostSubject: My Story - Eleanor   Mon 23 Feb 2009, 4:56 pm

My husband and I are considering a sibling for Eleanor hence how i found you guys through Lesley and I hope to be able to get a decent care plan together to move forwards and be brave enough to have a second baby.

Eleanor was born on 14th November 2007 weighing 1lb 4oz (580g) she was born by c section at the Jessop Wing in Sheffield. She spent 5 months in NNU's accross 3 different hospitals. She's now 7.5kg and doing well still on oxygen but we'll cross that bridge eventually. Anyway given all her issues I really couldn't cope with this again so I need to do everything I can to try and make it not happen again.

So my story begins on the 7th November 2007 when I was admitted to hospital for monitoring because i felt ill. Nothing more than that i just felt wrong. After a lot of faffing and incorrect information the SHO decided my blood pressure was higher than my booking in so i should be kept in for observation over night.

So overnight came and went and oopps the following morning ++ of protein on my dip stick. Anyway 24 hour collection proceeded and the dip sticks continued every now and then i got a + but that was it.
On the friday the consultant decided i ought to have a scan to see how baby was that was when things weren't going so well. Baby was tiny for her gestation and the placenta flows weren't great at that time. Steroids were started just incase.

On the Monday nothing much happened my BP didn't go up any more and the protein seemed to ahve disappeared i was optomistic for a release. How wrong was I.

The following day the lead consultant scanned me and decided baby would be better out than in and I needed to be transferred to a unit where they could cope with a baby at the predicted 1lb weight. I was blue lighted from York to Sheffield the reality of having a baby the next day still hadn't dawned on me.

I was in such a state by the time I arrived in Sheffield that the consultant there agreed not to do anything. He was a bit of an ar$e and wouldn't go through things again as he said York had told me everything i needed to know and that was that.

Wednesday morning arrived the reality of this being baby day still hadn't hit. The consultant (different one) came in to find me eating my rice krispies! I went down for another scan where he looked closely at the doppler flows and said things were starting to reverse.

He talked about a section that afternoon and I can clearly remember asking if i could check 2pm was going to be okay for my husband to be there. As if it wasn't going to be.

So that was it. I remember walking into theatre in my trainers and sitting hunched over the table. The spinal was great. I also remember saying that I wanted Mr S to tell me the flavour of the baby and no one else.

Anyway at 14:44 Eleanor was born weighing a hefty 580g! (well compared to what we were told it was hefty!)

The next day i felt so much better it was untrue. Shame walking was hard work.

Just before i was allowed home i went through everything with the consultant and he said it wasn't pre eclampsia but I certainly had pregancy induced hypertension possible with some of the signs of PE. However he couldn't say for definite as it was more about blood flow in the placenta and IUGR that she was delivered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Story - Eleanor   Mon 23 Feb 2009, 5:16 pm

Hi Sparkling,

Thank you for having the courage to post you story, I know how double edged it can be. On one hand gruelling to think about and write on the other, sometimes quite cathartic. I hope writing it out was the latter for you.

Thanks too, to Lesley for pointing you here!

I have PMd you with the info (as per previous post!) I hope it helps and that you will find the support here you want.

Warm Wishes
Liz

Lesley
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My Story - Eleanor   Mon 23 Feb 2009, 8:25 pm

Hi love,

Nice to read Eleanors story complete like that. Thank you for writing it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Caroline
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My Story - Eleanor   Mon 23 Feb 2009, 8:49 pm

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your story. I hope that Eleanor continues to do well.

Both my babies were born at York and I was really happy with the care we received. Obviously I was scared stiff in my pregnancy with Tilly but my consultant and the midwives in the day unit where I went for regular monitoring were brilliant and I felt confident that we were being looked after as well as could be.

Please feel free to PM me at any time if you would like.

Love Caroline xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MrsCav
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My Story - Eleanor   Tue 24 Feb 2009, 7:18 pm

Hi sparkling.

Glad you found the site everyone is friendly and very helpful.
Your story is so familiar to all of us. However as you can see i'm pregnant again and everything is going great so you can never tell the hospital have taken very good care of me and i'm so glad we decided to try again.

Any worries just post them and you'll soon be inundated with great advice i have been throughtout my 36 weeks and onwards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Story - Eleanor   

Back to top Go down

My Story - Eleanor
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1