Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Eating more protein = reducing the risk of PE

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bens_mummy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Eating more protein = reducing the risk of PE   Sun 15 Feb 2009, 8:12 pm

Hi Ladies,

I've just been talking to a friend of mine and she's convinced that by upping her protein intake whilst pregnant reduces the risk of PE? Has anyone else heard of this? I've seen 2 consultants so far during this pregnancy, none of which have mentioned increasing the amount of protein in my diet.

I'd just like some thoughts on this matter, if anybody has any?

Thanks!

Gemma x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Eating more protein = reducing the risk of PE   Mon 23 Feb 2009, 3:51 pm

Hi Gemma,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you, Ive only just spotted the post (clearly still on holiday mode!)

A balanced diet is recommended.
However the high protein diet, also known as the Brewers diet, has never been clinically tested & therefore all 'evidence' is purely anecdotal.
In fact there is evidence to suggest that diets of 100mg or more of protein can infact be harmful, some even go as far as suggesting it can increase the risk of PE.

If in doubt ask your GP to refer you to a dietician to go through your diet & look to replace any deficiencies safely - if there are any!

Hope this helps.
Liz

Eating more protein = reducing the risk of PE
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1