Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bedrest??

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Riina
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Bedrest??   Sun 04 Jan 2009, 10:16 am

Hi Liz,

Was browsing on the net last night and stumbled across American Pre-Eclampsia Foundation website. There was lot of emphasis on bedrest, even stickies on what to do on bedrest and everyone was posting their ideas. However when I went to see Dr N-P about having more children, and I mentioned about bedrest she just shrugged it off and said it doesnt help anyway.

I am originally from Finland and remember my mum telling me about her friend, who had pre-eclampsia in the 70's was advised on strict bedrest and not even to do the washing up!! So I am confused, is this old info, is it just a precaution or old wives tale? They also mentioned about lying on your left side and staying in the dark.

I havednt actually posted my story as it is so long and I still have gaps in it. To cut a long story short I developed pre-eclampsia around 31 weeks and was in and out of hospital for the next 4 weeks. Come to think of it the blood pressure did go down when I just layed down in hospital. But as soon as it came down I was always determined to go straight back home. And no one stopped me. But anyway as the BP was up and down and I had a C-section at 35 weeks. Still not classed as an emergency, even though my bloods was up the creek... Went on to develop HELLP, liver rupture and various complications in ITU. Came home after 6 weeks, frail and exhausted(You just cant sleep in ITU!!!). My daughter is 3 end of January. She is so gorgeous Id love dozen more!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bedrest??   Sun 04 Jan 2009, 11:22 am

Hi Riina,

Thanks for your question - its a good one that often has lots of opinions!

The truth is that bedrest has no clinical data that is totally conclusive. Because PE is progressive, once you have it, it will progress until the problem is sorted - therefore what evidence there is - says Bed rest does no good. (And this is where, I suspect, Catherine is coming from.)

HOWEVER!!!!!!
Anecdotal evidence suggests the contrary is true! The 'theory' being that as your body is already under stress, adding to it by being up & about doesnt help.

There are also the practical implications of having a 3 year old and being on bedrest!

For some women (myself included!) enforced bedrest would probably more stressful than being gently mobile, while for others the best thing since sliced bread.

The bottom line I feel, is to listen to your body and do what it tells you. Just because you had PE with your daughter doesnt mean you will get it again and enforced bedrest certainly wont prevent it happening.

Sorry not to have been more help - maybe others will have thoughts on it?!

Warm Wishes
Liz

Riina
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Bedrest??   Sun 04 Jan 2009, 2:12 pm

Thank you again LIz and Happy New Year!! Forgot to even say that, was so engrossed in this bedrest thing. I didnt think it would stop pre-eclampsia, just found it strange that it seems in America common practise and here it was never mentioned of. I read this particular thread, where a lady had PE on bedrest and already had I think 4 kids. One brave lady!!!

I just have had the feeling that British healthcare somewhat follows in the footsteps of American trends, certainly in the way of research. Maybe Im wrong and every country has its own recommendations.

Personally I hate bedrest!! I just had the flu over Christmas and struggled to stay in bed for 3 days!! BUT if it would enhance my chances of carrying a baby full term (or near it) Pe free of less severe I would certainly lay flat on my back. And the other half would have to look after me, daughter and animals!!!Recipe for disaster... By the way ladies was also browsing through Facebook and there are quite a few discussions about PE and HELLP. Even managed to find a lady who was worse than me and had another baby!! It gives me hope...

Anyways rambling on. Every now and again I get this feeling that I NEED to know if Im going to have more kids. I just want to decide and stick by it. Also time is ticking. Turning 32 In May and DR said I should conceive before Im 35. I know I have time, but not too long. What if I turn 35 and really want to do it then. OMG, this is hard....

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy new year in whatever you do. And thank you Liz for the important work you do flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carrie06
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Bedrest??   Sun 04 Jan 2009, 10:21 pm

Hi Riina, I have wondered about this too after being on the US forum. When I first started developing symptoms of PE, I remember asking the consultant if there was anything I could do to help myself and she said "no". In a way, I would rather be in work if I did start getting symptoms again (if I wasn't hospitalised) because at least I am around people rather than be at home alone in case the worst happened. Cx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nicki D
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Bedrest??   Mon 05 Jan 2009, 12:13 pm

Hi Riina,

The only thing I would add to this is that the US has one of the worst records for obstetric care in the western world. Their mortality rate is far higher than ours, and they lag behind us in care and progressive ideas. I'm not saying that bedrest is a bad idea, I guess I'm just cautioning that the American way is not necessarily the best when it comes to obstetric care!

I know of many, many cases of mis-diagnosed PE and HELLP in the States, and whilst I know it happens here too, it seems to be less frequent. I know from my own case that as soon as I started showing signs of high blood pressure at 28 weeks, I was given very regular blood tests (twice weekly) to monitor my platelets and liver function, something that none of my American friends were offered.

The decision to have another one is an incredibly hard and personal one - we have decided against another one, but I am very lucky in that I also have a wonderful step-daughter from my husband's first marriage, so I guess I already have my two kids, but I do understand the burning desire to have another child.

Good luck with the decision making, and if you do decide to go for it, wishing you a long and very boring pregnancy! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bedrest??   

Back to top Go down

Bedrest??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pre Eclampsia support :: Welcome to Pre Eclampsia Support Forum. :: Ask Liz. :: Ask Liz...-
Jump to: